travel kit?

bikerfish

bikerfish

been thinking about putting together a travel kit, for those that carry one, what do you take? how do you pack it? store bought or self engineered?
I'd rather not spend 100 bucks on a fancy nylon bag to carry dubbing, feathers and hooks.
thanks for any advice!

I use one of these bags.

Gear bag thread

I will take materials, hooks and tools for flies that I think I might want to tie.

I keep my spools in a plastic lure box which fit perfectly in the gear bag. I have most of my hooks in plastic boxes and dubbing dispensers. Hackle lays on top of that then my vise. Fur and packs of material go in the end pockets and tools go in the front pouches.

It is unpacked for the winter or I would take a few pictures.

this in the van

Attachments

• DSCN7006.JPG
    DSCN7006.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 3
I use an old shoebox and have a small vise that stays in it. I'll add some basic materials depending on streams and season and lots of hooks in smaller sizes. I'm not one who keeps a tying kit in my car all the time but for multi day trips it's often nice to have fly tying stuff.

I use an old briefcase I picked up at a yard sale for $2. For multiday trips, I load up the vise, tools and a selection of materials I'm likely to need.

Biker ,
what species do you want this kit for?thats how you should go about making one up, i have the fancy JW Outfitters Top Of The Line bag an it is great,but you can do one better, get a rubbermaid with a locking top, You'll need room for your:

Vice and base or c clamp a pedastal is better you can use a pedastal anywhere an c clamp limits you.

a pouch for your tools that way they are oraganized, this will need slots for two pair of scissors; one for fine work,the other for synthetics,deer or elk hairect, a slot for a whip finisher,slot for some flossers to thread bobbins,slots for two bobbins,slot for a bodkin,slot for hacklepliers or mini clip,an slot for exacto knive
always buy a selection of dubbing in dubbing dispensers or get the bags of all the color you want an get the dispensers separately then label each slot with mailing label cut down
you will need some superfine for dries an some spikey squirrel or hare's ear with antron for nymphs two dispensers will get ya in the door,
de barb pliers
head cement
dubbing wax
maybe these colorsof hackle or capes for dries,light dun,medium dun,grizzly,brown grizzly,barred ginger
center pheasant tails, turkey tails
turkey or goose biots preferably both in brown ,black,olive,white,amber
copper wire for ribbing ultra wire is the best IMHO an comes in multitude of colors as well as gold
Mylar tinsel,it is gold one side silver the other an maybe a few different sizes
CDC lt dun,med dun,brown,tan,ect
a good patch of elk hair for tying elk hair caddis or comparaduns
a good patch od deerhair for tying caddis an comparaduns
micro fibbets lt dun med dun an whatever color yer heart desires
a spirit river pro 20 hook box or two, with sizes of dry fly hooks you use most for the poatterns you like same applies to nymph hooks maybe some streamer hooks.this will get you in the door i think

I second Sandflys box. I saw his at his shop the first time I was there and went straight to wally world and got one. I took it with me to yellowstone that year and had everything I needed plus some. Its great cause you can drop the bottom piece if you want and its only half the size.

fred what are you doing on here, GET THAT ROD DONE SO WE CAN FISH !!!

Been refining this for a long time. If you know where you're going and what hatches to expect, it makes paring your materials down a lot easier. If you're like me, I have preferred patterns for the hatches, and only have to tie on the road if I run out, for whatever reason.

For a kit bag, I really like this one. It's only $40, and they run them on sale for $25 once in a while. It holds enough stuff, including my little travel vise, to get by for a week of fishing. I can easily fit a full size pedestal vise in it by using the two outside pouches, if I want to.

It's a nice alternative to those expensive travel bags, but even with those, it takes some thought to keep things "reasonable". Taking everything and the kitchen sink just isn't feasible, or necessary.

Here's what I use.

Attachments

• Plano 7271.JPG
    Plano 7271.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Plano tackle box.JPG
    Plano tackle box.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 6
that and all the rods and a 45 lb. vest stuffed and more boxes in a crate etc.. about a couple hundred pounds of gear...LOL

This is the box I use to keep thread, wire, hooks, beads, etc. in. When I want to to take it to work or on the go, I just toss some materials in the top compartment. I don't have a dedicated setup at home, so it makes tying on the go very handy.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Art-Bin-Easy-View-Craft-Supply-Tote/3127870/product.html

thanks guys, all good ideas so far!

I use a cheap plano spinning tackle box.
My vice, light, and necks fit nicely in the huge bottom bin.
And the 2 compartmented trays are great for all the hooks, tools, and other tying materiel

alan, i bought this from cabelas a few years ago, it holds alot of material, and has removable inserts

Attachments

• 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 2
in a black power box i keep a basic vice ,superfine and antron dubbing despensers,a good moose mane good elk hair good mule deer hair,some cdc in dun and white and brown, dry hooks 8-28 and small bags of white brown,dun and black hackle sz 10-24 and a black marker and a handful of beads the hackle is suspened on hooks(actually bolts run through from outside so they dont get twisted trampeled thats it

Look at qualiflyproducts.com. Some cool stuff for on the go. They have discounts now and then.

remembered this in garage, going to clean it up and keep in van loaded;

Attachments

• 4-3-12 102.jpg
    4-3-12 102.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 4-3-12 103.jpg
    4-3-12 103.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 4-3-12 104.jpg
    4-3-12 104.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 4-3-12 105.jpg