Travel/Carry On Luggage?

CoffeeB4youFIsh

CoffeeB4youFIsh

I was wondering what everyone liked as far as a carry on for rods and reels...I believe theres Fishpond, Orvis, Simms and Patagonia.

Thanks for any help!

I just slide the aluminum rod tube in a backpack.

Reel goes in checked bag or overhead bag. 4pc rod tube with me. Usually attached to my backpack as previously suggested.

I check them in T&T rod carrier. But it has been awhile since I checked in rods. Rental SUV and drive take the dog 😀.

I just put my reel and a couple fly boxes in my backpack and take the rod tube with me as a carryon. I put a narrow shoulder strap from some forgotten bag and clip it to the rod tube fabric handle with a carabiner. That way I can sling it over my shoulder when wearing my backpack and have hands-free convenience.

I have the Patagonia roll top pack with the rod holders on the side and use that as my carry on/personal item. Even when packed full it will fit under the seat just fine. I throw the rod in the overhead bin. Never had an issue in many years/trips of doing that.

I splurged and got one of those Orvis travel cases over the holidays last year on a 20% off deal. So, moving forward I’ll use that as my carry on. It’ll hold 3 rod tubes, plus as many reels/fly boxes/terminal tackle as you could ever want. (If you take the rods out of the tubes and are comfortable traveling with them like that, it would seriously hold your whole quiver, of 4 piece rods anyway. More than likely I’ll put 2 rods in each tube and carry them like that, if my wife is going too. Otherwise, 3 rods is the most I’d travel with anyway.)

My fishing pack is a backpack style pack, and when flying on a trip where fishing is involved I just use that as my “personal item” carry on. Boots/waders get put in the checked bag.

Thanks all! yeah I'm trying to decide on a carry on that'll hold a few rods and reels/leaders...etc.

I have the Simms case I found on sale from a shop in WI on the internet.
Price was 119.00 but the odd thing was it shipped from Simms when I called the shop about a tracking number. Simms had a sale on the same case but if buying from Simms the price was 139.00. Why? I like them. The Orvis case was identical but a different color.

I'm flying to Missoula at the end of the month and looking to solve this problem when carrying on two rods and reels. I came across the Redington Fly Rod Travel Case, Plastic Reinforced Caps, Adjustable Shoulder Strap on Amazon for ~$55.00 seems like it could work? Thoughts from prevoius flyers?

Screenshot 2023 08 01 at 71832 AM

I'm flying to Missoula at the end of the month and looking to solve this problem when carrying on two rods and reels. I came across the Redington Fly Rod Travel Case, Plastic Reinforced Caps, Adjustable Shoulder Strap on Amazon for ~$55.00 seems like it could work? Thoughts from prevoius flyers?

View attachment 1641231773
Just about all flights are full and it is not unusual for the overhead compartments to be full if you're unlucky enough to board late. I don't think it will fit under the seat in front of you so you will be forced to check that case. It's likely your rods and reels will get crushed when thrown in the luggage compartment. I would recommend a carry-on that protects your rods if you are forced to check it as baggage.

I do the same as Swattie does (below). The case can be used as a carry-on and the rods are kept in their tubes and are safe even if they have to be checked.
I splurged and got one of those Orvis travel cases over the holidays last year on a 20% off deal. So, moving forward I’ll use that as my carry on. It’ll hold 3 rod tubes, plus as many reels/fly boxes/terminal tackle as you could ever want. (If you take the rods out of the tubes and are comfortable traveling with them like that, it would seriously hold your whole quiver, of 4 piece rods anyway. More than likely I’ll put 2 rods in each tube and carry them like that, if my wife is going too. Otherwise, 3 rods is the most I’d travel with anyway.)

My fishing pack is a backpack style pack, and when flying on a trip where fishing is involved I just use that as my “personal item” carry on. Boots/waders get put in the checked bag.

My trick to add is that two rods in their socks can usually fit in a single rod tube. This is what I do when flying to fish. One tube with two rods, two reels, and a couple fly boxes in my carryon backpack.

Has shipping rigs to/from the lodge become cost-prohibitive? My father-in-law did this when his employer gifted him a post-retirement trip out west. He has nothing except two-piece rods. Another factor was that my mother-in-law went with him and required some assistance at the time. This was some years ago and I have no idea about the cost.

My trick to add is that two rods in their socks can usually fit in a single rod tube. This is what I do when flying to fish. One tube with two rods, two reels, and a couple fly boxes in my carryon backpack.
I started this recently for car trips... handles/tips at opposite ends of the tube with both rods in their own rod bags, without any damage.

Back