Travel Bag

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Good day fellow PAFFer's. I'll be traveling out to Yellowstone next September and I'm looking for a travel bag that is, of course, lockable to carry all my fishing gear.(waders, boots, etc) that isn't going to cost me a mint as I'm not sure how often I'll be using it. Any suggestions on decent bags?

Thanks.

I use a CIMARRON WADER/DUFFEL BAG to put all my gear in. It's my way of staying organized. I dunno about locking it.

https://fishpondusa.com/cimarron-wader-duffel-bag

Here is what I use on my fishing trips >

Safe Passage Duffle

The lower compartment is vented and is separate from the upper. You can pack cloches on top and waders and boots in the lower section. A rod tube can fit in the lower section plus raincoats or any other outdoor gear you want to keep separate from your clothing.

Have a good trip.

Thanks. Imagine you suggesting Orvis. lol Actually this is the exact one I was looking at especially at this price. Your recommendation goes a long way to reinforcing that thought.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Thanks. Imagine you suggesting Orvis. lol Actually this is the exact one I was looking at especially at this price. Your recommendation goes a long way to reinforcing that thought.

Yeah George, I would grab it at $169. If it's on sale, it may go away soon.

It's really a good bag for a fishing trip and also can be used as luggage for packing clothes on any trip.

Yellowstone is great!! Have a good time.

Thanks. I'm going to call the store to see if they have any in stock. If so, I'll take a ride out there. Can it be locked so it can go as checked luggage?

If you've been out there, any advice for streams to not miss? We found a horseback fishing day trip which we're seriously thinking about doing. Maybe hit the 3rd meadow of Slough on that ride.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Thanks. I'm going to call the store to see if they have any in stock. If so, I'll take a ride out there. Can it be locked so it can go as checked luggage?

If you've been out there, any advice for streams to not miss? We found a horseback fishing day trip which we're seriously thinking about doing. Maybe hit the 3rd meadow of Slough on that ride.

You can lock the zippers together I believe.

Have a good trip.

After trying various things, I've settled on standard wheeled luggage. I throw waders, wading boots, fishing pack, reels ,etc and some clothes in checked wheeled luggage. Then bring a small backpack and rods as carry-on.

I'll second the fishpond bag suggested above. It has served me 3 trips to Yellowstone alone being checked. You can lock the zippers together with the small PSA approved locks. I'd also suggest a backpack as a carry on for your reels and rods and whatever else you like. Only reason ill push the fishpond is they provide a great product for the money and i have seen friends Orvis products be less then desirable when it comes to durability[ coming apart in under a year]. But just what i have personally seen.

Love my Orvis. Has wheels. Agree on the backpack for carryon with reels, etc. But, a couple years ago on a trip out west I made the mistake of having two rod tubes taped together in my hand. The wicked lady at the counter charged me for an extra carryon. Oi! Maybe you have one sticking out of your pack, put your backups in the orvis bag, and say a little prayer.

Foxgap,

Why do you want to lock it. They will probably break the lock at the airport if you are checking it. Besides, I would UPS my gear out west. Better chance of it getting there with UPS than the airlines. Just an idea.

If you want wheeled duffel there are plenty out there to be had for $100 or less. I have had great luck with High Sierra Brand see https://shop.highsierra.com/duffels/wheeled/

Make sure you get something long enough to fit any multi-piece rod tubes your planning on placing in your checked duffel. Airline carry on max length is 22 inches (22 inches x 9 inches x 14 inches. That certainly limits rod tube length that can be officially be carried on. I know some people still bring rods on board longer than 22'' length but your mileage will vary depending on Gate Agents. Placing a Zip Tie around each zipper car on your checked bags will let you know if TSA or someone else opened you them see pic https://imgur.com/u45ZoDk

Also wheels & frame adds about 7 to 12 lbs to luggage - On longer trips where 50 lbs checked bag limit is a concern i like to roll without wheels :) and use regular canvas duffel

An option that has a ton of versatility, and takes up little space, are the stainless steel mesh "nets" that you can put around any luggage or bag. An advantage is that you can then lock the entire thing to some stationary object.

I use them to carry expensive camera equipment. I used them in Afghanistan to secure expensive gear that sometimes had to be unattended. It has never let me down.

https://www.pacsafe.com/accessories/bag-protectors/

Back