Transporting/Traveling with pontoon boat

mcwillja

mcwillja

I am in the market for a fishing pontoon but i wanted to see how poeple transport these things. Are you deflating them and transporting them on a roof rack or in the bed of your truck? I have an SUV and a roofrack but i would hate to have to take it apart every time i transported it. If you have one what are you doing to transport?

The only way that I've found that's not a PITA is on a trailer. Even lifting it on the rack and securing it is a pain in the rear, at least for me. Also, if you don't have a reliable fishing partner with a pontoon you may regret the purchase. Things really become difficult when you have to try to figure out a way to shuttle your vehicle yourself between put in and take out. You can always use a shuttle service, but at $25-$30 a pop, it gets expensive.

Harbor freight trailer will do ya

People buy "trailers" from Harbor Freight? I don't hate myself enough to introduce those kind of problems into my life.

I've seen them inside of a SUV, strapped to the roof of an SUV and in a trailer. I've done 2 of the 3. There is nothing like being anchored on rising fish until 9pm....then rowing out......then taking it apart and storing it in the vehicle. No thank you. I got a trailer after 3 floats. If you have a pick-up, it should fit nicely.

A toon will open up a lot of water to you but it's a PITA sometimes, but so is everything.

Yeah thanks guys. sounds like a trailer is the best way to go. I don't want to mess with taking it apart at 10 pm at night after an days fishing. That would get old real quick.

I owned a 13' NRS cataraft and used a 10' Worthington trailer. You can get a used worthington trailer at a good price if you look around. The key is to install a roller on the back of the trailer.

One thing to consider about owning a raft is you'll often need shuttling to use the raft.

If you go by yourself it can be a real pain. On large rivers, a 2.5 gas outboard where legal, will get you up stream if the current is moderate without major class riffles. A 2.5 will also help you through large slow flats with wind. Last thing you want is to be on a long pool with a strong upstream wind (you will be stuck).

One can also bring a bike and ride back up to get the vehicle, but then all your gear will be left with the raft.

Also, go as light as possible. The less gear the easier to maneuver the raft.

Bruno wrote:
Harbor freight trailer will do ya
I worked with a guy that bought a trailer kit from Harbor Freight. After he got it assembled he had to get it registered with the state. I forget all the details, but I remember it wasn't nearly as simple as mailing a check to PennDot and getting a license plate sent back.

Does a pontoon fit in the back of a full size pickup fully assembled?

Yes there are some very good caterafts out there that may not exactly "fit, but you can get them in a bed and strap them down.

I am looking into getting one in time for the spring, just starting to shop around.

Where you located? I have a Creek Company Voyager HD that I'd be interested in selling. Message me if interested.

I'm in SE PA but we could meet halfway on TP or something, will msg if interested, thx

I have two pontoon boats, one a more traditional Bucks Bag with a metal frame and the other is a Creek Company frameless pontoon. I once had the frameless boat fly off the top of my rental car while driving in Montana. It had been nice and tight on the rack the previous evening but overnight the cool air causes the inflated condition to shrink. The boat just blew off and luckily only had a few scratches on the seams.

I don't see my you wouldn't be able to put it on top of your vehicle and strap it down with two good cam straps and be able to drive at the speed limit with no problem. Out in Montana I see many toons strapped to the top of vehicles.

We strap two boats on top of the rental but we are only driving about 10 miles at 40-45 mph.

Attachments

• Montana 2015 030 (550x436).jpg
    Montana 2015 030 (550x436).jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 5
I'd love to hear some opinions on frameless vs framed pontoons. I want to get one in time for the spring and am currently looking at the different options. The frameless just seem to me like glorified rafts. The framed version on the other hand seem more stable and i especially like how you seem to be seated up higher in more of a traditional boat seat.

mcwillja wrote:
I am in the market for a fishing pontoon but i wanted to see how poeple transport these things. Are you deflating them and transporting them on a roof rack or in the bed of your truck? I have an SUV and a roofrack but i would hate to have to take it apart every time i transported it. If you have one what are you doing to transport?

I recommend you ditch the pontoon and get a small fishing kayak there are some very nice 10ft kayaks out there that are light, stable and very portable with some that are made to stand and fish out of

Fredrick what do you suggest for Kayaks?

I have owned both framed and frameless. Actually I own a Creek Company frameless that I keep year round in Montana in a garage the outfitter I stay at owns. I love it because I don't have much upper body strength and I was having trouble getting my other Creek Company ODC framed boat onto the top of the rental vehicle. I sold that boat to my Montana partner and bought the CC frameless pontoon boat. I guess you do sit a little lower in it compared to the frame boat but I don't care because I never fish out of it. I only use it to get from one wading place to another. I think my boat weighs 28# and the oars weigh just a few pounds. There is a spacious gear bag on the right pontoon and space behind the seat to store your cooler and PFD. I paid $400 for it about seven years ago. It has never leaked air. There are two air chambers.

Framed boats are heavier but if you are a strong guy you shouldn't have any trouble getting it on top of a regular car, maybe a bit of a strain to get it onto the top of a cross over vehicle. Most have a storage compartment on top of each pontoon. There is a big rear shelf for a cooler, PFD, and other stuff. Even a small electric motor.

Both track about the same - crappy. Both are pretty slow compared to a kayak or drift boat. I can pass a pontoon easily in my Hyde.

Here is my Creek Company Voyager frameless pontoon.

Attachments

• Montana 2015 026 (600x450).jpg
    Montana 2015 026 (600x450).jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 5
I own a Scadden frameless and I wouldn't go any other way. NO frame to **** with. I don't delflate mine, it fits in my Chevy van fully inflated. I also used to put it in my Suburban inflated too. But deflating and inflating is easy. They are great, have had mine for three years. Float Little J and the Juniata River never had a problem. I even row it up river sometimes and bass fish around the boat launch area without floating down stream and have to have someone meet me.

Back