Top water Lizards

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I am going to research how to do a monofilament weed guard for future ties, but I think these should work for bass pretty well. They are a bit big, but even small bass hit large soft plastics in the bass fishing worlds.

My main conscern is the location of the hook. I may be over thinking it, but I think on the next lizards I do I may have the front section have the hook and run the shank articulated off the back. May not be an issue as the should get hooked, but I think foul hooking may happen on smaller fish, or possible short strikes. A dual hook set up may also be a good option. But still playing with these guys.

Fun tie, and not really all that hard. I cant wait to test some of these.

Is there a warmwater jam? I may be interested in coming. Ill have to check the meet ups forum. I would love to learn more on tying these warm water flies, and share some of what I have learned.

Attachments

• LIZARDS.jpg
    LIZARDS.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 7
  • PINK LIZARD.jpg
    PINK LIZARD.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 4
  • BLACK AND BLUE LIZARD-edit.jpg
    BLACK AND BLUE LIZARD-edit.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 4
I tie ones like this on my bass Clousers and other stuff. I use cheap, stiff Zebco or other store brand mono, 15 or 20 lb.
https://youtu.be/Q74woOkzyE8
Mike B

I generally use this stuff for mono weed guards: http://www.basspro.com/Mason-Hard-Mono-Leader-10Yard-Coils/product/22709/

It's really good, IMO.

Probably 90% of the applications I use it for (pike and largemouth flies in sizes #4 to #4/0) are covered by the 20 lb. Mason. I also have a coil of both 25 and 16 lb. but they mostly gather dust.

I anchor it in on top of the shank and then bring it back to follow the curve of the hook and underneath and then anchor it again on the bottom side of the shank just behind the eye. There is a little bit of a learned touch to getting the right tension on the weed guard. Too taut and you miss takes. Too loose and it doesn't act as a weed guard. You want just a little give in it, but not much. It'll come...

The only other thing I'd say is that using a mono weed guard requires a little bit of planning as to when to anchor it in when you are tying more elaborate stuff. But you seem pretty intuitive based on the photos you post of what you tie. I doubt you'll have any problem with planning or design. I often do though..

THanks guys.

what did you use for the heads on those?

LOL kneeling foam for gardening. Available at Dollar general for a dollar a piece.

I cut it and shape it. Ill put a light amount of dubbing down, put a generous coating of super glue on it, then slide it on.

Back