Top flies to tie

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Recent article from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette about some of the most useful fly patterns to tie >

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/outdoors/2019/01/17/PA-fly-fishing-top-flies-Pittsburgh-Orvis-International-Angler/stories/201901180024

I’m definitely jealous of you guys that live near streams where dryfly fishing opportunities are commonplace. The flies listed in the article are in my fly box but rarely leave it. I did hit a 1 hour BWO hatch in 2018 and I had sulphurs on 3 different days. That tends to happen only on my NCPA trip. I did tie on caddis several times but mostly on wild trout streams where there was no hatch.

I went back through my records and in 45 days of fishing I used dry flies on 20 of my 45 days, but dries were my primary fly only on 11 days. But I’m not complaining, I enjoy tossing Wooly buggers, wets and streamers, so it’s all good.

Prospector wrote:
I’m definitely jealous of you guys that live near streams where dryfly fishing opportunities are commonplace. The flies listed in the article are in my fly box but rarely leave it. I did hit a 1 hour BWO hatch in 2018 and I had sulphurs on 3 different days. That tends to happen only on my NCPA trip. I did tie on caddis several times but mostly on wild trout streams where there was no hatch.

I went back through my records and in 45 days of fishing I used dry flies on 20 of my 45 days, but dries were my primary fly only on 11 days. But I’m not complaining, I enjoy tossing Wooly buggers, wets and streamers, so it’s all good.

While I don't keep records of my fishing, I would guess my dry fly fishing percentage is similar to yours. I like fishing nymphs and wets a bit, but like many FFers, for trout, dry fly fishing over a hatch is as good as it gets. Dense or even consistent and hatches in SE PA where I live and fish locally are rare. I too must drive a bit to the north or to central PA for better dry fly fishing.

Prospector wrote:
I went back through my records and in 45 days of fishing I used dry flies on 20 of my 45 days, but dries were my primary fly only on 11 days.

Agree with Afish - that seems to me to be a pretty high percentage for fishing on top.

I'd estimate that, over a year of trout fishing, dry flies are much less on the end of my leader (not counting dry-dropper rigs, which I use a lot for presenting sub-surface flies). To be sure, I've always been more of a nymph and streamer guy, but if fish are rising, I like dry flies as much as anyone. Here in SCPA, and the Cumberland Valley in particular, trout just don't look up as much as they do upstate and as a result I tend to go down for 'em.

I go through my flies at the end of every season - taking inventory - and see what I have to replace
And year after year, the flies I use the most of, are BWO's and Sulphers

Last year, I hit the grannoms really well - and have had to tie lots of them

Prospector wrote:
I’m definitely jealous of you guys that live near streams where dryfly fishing opportunities are commonplace.

You wrote some great stuff about fly fishing in NW PA, so I'm assuming that is where you fish a lot.

Dry fly fishing is very effective in that region. I've had some very good fishing on brookie streams in NW PA on dry flies.

Dry fly fishing is effective everywhere in PA.

Many people have been programmed by the literature to think that you must have heavy, concentrated hatches and trout rising all over the creek in order to have good dry flyfishing.

It ain't so. On the freestone streams, often you will see just a few mayflies, caddis or stoneflies, but that is enough to get the trout looking up.

And terrestrial patterns are very effective on these streams. From about late June through the fall months, I fish terrestrial patterns a lot.

I'll echo Trourbert. Most of my fish that come to dry flies aren't during a blizzard type scenario. Many species, various micro caddis seem notable, emerge throughout the day. Even if I don't see risers, I'll often start working a section of water with a dry fly first, to cover areas where nymphing may be hindered by casting obstacles.
Take the extra time to observe holding areas where fish are more inclined to come up top, before jumping in to high stick em'.

Here's a great video by Orvis/Tom Rosenbauer with a lot of great info about dry fly fishing>

https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/chapter-six-play-all-videos

let's face it,sometimes the only way you're going to hook up is on a dry.

i would much prefer to take a trout under the surface,but if they won't take a wet,or a damp soft hackle/emerger,i will def use a dry.

sometimes you have to!

troutbert wrote:
Prospector wrote:
I’m definitely jealous of you guys that live near streams where dryfly fishing opportunities are commonplace.

You wrote some great stuff about fly fishing in NW PA, so I'm assuming that is where you fish a lot.

Dry fly fishing is very effective in that region. I've had some very good fishing on brookie streams in NW PA on dry flies.

Dry fly fishing is effective everywhere in PA.

Many people have been programmed by the literature to think that you must have heavy, concentrated hatches and trout rising all over the creek in order to have good dry flyfishing.

It ain't so. On the freestone streams, often you will see just a few mayflies, caddis or stoneflies, but that is enough to get the trout looking up.

And terrestrial patterns are very effective on these streams. From about late June through the fall months, I fish terrestrial patterns a lot.
Troutbert,

You are correct, NWPA brookie streams fish pretty well with dries. I fished about 23 or 24 NWPA streams and caught fish on dries in about 6 of them. However 100% of the streams in NCPA are dry fly first (when it’s not raining) from about Memorial Day thru summer. Blind casting dries is one of my favorite ways to fish up there.

I have similar experiences as noted above. About 30% of my fishing is dry fly. Where I differ is that up until about June I will nymph/wet fly even during hatches provided I am catching fish. If the trout are really keyed on dries I will switch over. Usually swinging a wet fly or nymphing is just as successful.

In June til water heats up, I will search with a dry fly and perhaps add a dropper. Could I be more successful subsurface? Maybe but it is how I enjoy fishing late spring/ early summer evenings. More relaxing and less work.

Back