Top 5 late fall flies

odizz17

odizz17

Hey guys. Was gonna tie some flies this evening and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this time of year.... Was gonna hit the Wiconisco, Clark's, and either stony or Manada this weekend in dauphin county. Any help would be appreciated. Pics would be helpful as well. Don't mind a challenge either =) Thanks again fellas

midges (larva, pupa, adults) - will work all winter as well.
any streamers
any small nymphs

streamers and eggs... streamers and eggs.

You forgot to mention streamers and eggs.

Also tan caddis.

Stonefly nymphs have been working for me in the limestone creeks of central pa... I'd say streamers should also work.

most nymphs should be small #16 or less now except stonefly's which have a 3 year cycle. They still should be tied a size smaller. Wooly buggers imitating hellgramites should be smaller as well. Streamers on the other hand should be on the large size since they are adults now.

Tan caddis and small pheasant tails.

Size 22 bwo CDC emergers
Small Eggs
Chunky streamers
Zebra midges

The better question is Top 5 flies that dont work in november!

I have found through the years that trout are not picky in late fall one bit. But out of my nymphs i would say the diamond (flashback) scud does exceptionally well at this time of the year.

Top 5 that don't work in November!?

Green Drakes
Size 1 Merpets
Walmart Coachman
Bobbers
Pocket Lint (actually....if its dubbed on a hook w/ a bead, it'll probably work)

Lol the Walmart coachman is a classic!

0062007032406_180X180.jpg

Yes that's the ACTUAL size...and image quality from the Walmart website.

that's not a coachman,get it right Sasq.

odizz17 wrote:
Hey guys. Was gonna tie some flies this evening and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this time of year.... Was gonna hit the Wiconisco, Clark's, and either stony or Manada this weekend in dauphin county. Any help would be appreciated. Pics would be helpful as well. Don't mind a challenge either =) Thanks again fellas

If you are on Clarks, toss some tan caddis. I've been doing quite well on them.

Back