Top 4 bass lines

Streambred

Streambred

These are my go to fly lines for guiding/fishing smallmouth on the susky/Juniata. Just wanted to give you a quick pros and cons list for each line I’ve chosen and will continue to use. I tend to only fish #8 floating lines and allow my fly choice to adjust for different depth scenarios. It just works for me but anyways these are my tried and trues….

SA bass bug WF #8 (camo)
-awesome taper and casts great
-handles weighted/unweighted streamers very well
-great topwater line
-shorter life span than most lines IMO
-if it was more durable it would be my favorite

SA Titan Taper WF #8
-great top water line
-very durable
-middle of the road for streamer presentations

Cortland tropical Bonefish WF #8
-awesome taper for pick up and rip casts
-favorite top water line
-awesome streamer line weighted/unweighted
-only bring it out during the hot days of summer

Cortland cold water Redfish WF #8
-great all around line during the entire season
-casts weighted/unweighted streamers great
-easy to cast heavy shooting head
-super durable

A good line makes a massive difference out there. Let me know what you think about these lines if you’ve tried them or let me know about some I need to try!
432005C9 A73A 4E5F 822E 9E8A61662BF2

To respond to the OP, mpx and gpx textured in 7wt is what I've been using. Have an SA bass bug taper but never busted it out as well as Rio smallmouth and I've been told to expect disappointment with that one

Follow up on this.....
6wt bass bug taper on a stout 9'6" rod has been fantastic for booglebugs.

The Rio smallmouth elite on a t3 tip flex is an amazing match. Those 2 set ups have gotten positive feedback from friends and clients.

Haven't busted out any intermediate yet but have just been using a 5' poly leader 2ips and that's been good enough to get it done. Another trick I've been using.... Big barrel swivel 18" - 24" above the fly. Stops leader twist and acts as a split shot and makes the fly swim up/down & side to side nicely.

Lastly, nobody disputed Yes Roundabout as a top bass line 😁

Another trick I've been using.... Big barrel swivel 18" - 24" above the fly. Stops leader twist and acts as a split shot and makes the fly swim up/down & side to side nicely.

Lastly, nobody disputed Yes Roundabout as a top bass line 😁

Crap. This is what I should be doing with wire leaders. Didn't even think about it.

I see your "Roundabout" and raise you one "Running with the Devil".

“Ice Ice Baby”, which according the Iceman himself is NOT a rip of “Under Pressure”.

Chris Squire was a great bassist. May YES songs have good bass riffs. "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac is my contribution.

Getting back on subject. I use the SA streamer express, but I believe named Sonar now. I primarily use streamers for bass so I like the sink tips.

My floating line is a RIO, but not a fan and can't recall name. I need a new floater. I may try the Bass Bug line.

The "bug" line I'm using is from SA

What? No RADAR Love? Not enough bass? Speaking of bottom, how about Dance to the Music.
Thanks for the OP by the way. My youngest now has an 8-weight and doesn't appear to know what to do with it.

Not the most difficult but I believe it's an overlooked bass line

Lately been using Rio Big Nasty. Mostly because they discontinued the Clouser for Big Nasty
line. I overline my Sage 590RP with a six weight.

The Rep at the Fly Show told me their Predator Line was a direct replacement for the Clouser but
i haven't had a chance to try one.

Dear Board,

I try really hard to use the fly line specified on my rod. Since most of my rods are 20 years old or over, I tend to stick with Cortland lines and search the interwebs for old fashioned stuff that is NIB. I have 2 each Cortland 444 Bass lines in 7 and 8 weight. I'm 63 years old, I'm covered until death with them! ;)

But for real bass, nothing beats Phil Lesh dropping bombs!

Have a Grateful Day!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Lines I have had in rotation this year......

Airflo bass and musky 7wt. It's not quite as head heavy as I hoped. I put it on an Orvis t3 tip flex and it seems to work nicely. Effortless 60'-70' casts.

SA textured GPX wf7f. Wasn't heavy enough for faster rods. Use on an old echo original saltwater 7wt. Works ok at best.

Rio elite smallmouth on a h3d 7wt. Just got the rod the other day and lawn cast it. It's ok if you want to launch 80' darts.

Bass Pro prestige plus wf8f on a Redington vice. Rigged up today and just lawn cast. Was swapping reels around for the helios 3d and that's where this ended up. Probably a better match since it's pretty stiff rod.

SA mastery bass bug taper on an old Redington cpx 9'6", 6wt. Popper tossing machine. Last trip out, guy wanted to know where he could get one of those rods and I told him you're going to need a time machine 🤣.

Dear Board,

I try really hard to use the fly line specified on my rod. Since most of my rods are 20 years old or over, I tend to stick with Cortland lines and search the interwebs for old fashioned stuff that is NIB. I have 2 each Cortland 444 Bass lines in 7 and 8 weight. I'm 63 years old, I'm covered until death with them! ;)

But for real bass, nothing beats Phil Lesh dropping bombs!

Have a Grateful Day!

Regards,

Makes sense that a dude with a "dead bear" as an avatar mentions Phil Lesh.....

I have tried allot of bass lines for snakeheads but I find them lacking in the dog days of summer since they wilt when it gets into the high 80"s. The new Rio elite warmwater predator has performed for me very well this summer.

Makes sense that a dude with a "dead bear" as an avatar mentions Phil Lesh.....
Dear jifigz,

Paraphrasing what Bill Graham said, "They weren't the best at what they did, they were the only ones who did what they did."

God blessed the Grateful Dead, I got to benefit from that. :)

Regards,

Dear jifigz,

Paraphrasing what Bill Graham said, "They weren't the best at what they did, they were the only ones who did what they did."

God blessed the Grateful Dead, I got to benefit from that. :)

Regards,

This post sounds too familure. ;)

Back