Tony Marasco Fly Tyers Vice

• Thread starter BrookTroutLover
  • Start date
BrookTroutLover

BrookTroutLover

Do any of our SW PA members know if Tony Marasco is still with us? He taught me fly tying and fishing thirty some years ago, and as I dust off my materials and tools for the annual January ritual to start tying for another season, I have been thinking about what a gift he gave me. We all owe a tremendous debt to our mentors!

Scott

I also learned to tie from Tony about that same length of time ago.
Maybe we were in the same class? - I took it in 1984 or 85.

Anyway, he closed his shop long ago, but has still been selling stuff from his large inventory at the cabin fever show every year.
I saw him there last march, and he was till looking quite chipper then

I usually make a surprise visit over the holidays at his home but didn't this year. I too hold those lessons and techniques as the foundation my passion was built on. Not everyone agreed with his "style" but lets face it, we all have quirks and if you look past them you can mine some serious nuggets from the old timers.

He still lives in the same place I think and plays alot of golf.

I think I did the class around '86-'87 and was an assistant instructor for a few years after, maybe til the early '90s.

Good times for sure!

That is great to hear. I was in the class around 1979ish, if I have my chronology right. Before I started to drive. In those days, the class was held at the YMCA "dahn tahn" in Pittsburgh, and I would hitch a ride with Tony every week from his house/shop. Later, I helped out with a TU tying course in the South Hills that George Aiken taught-- which led to some great times fishing Dunbar Creek with George on many occasions before I shipped off to school (conveniently selected because the Little J was over the mountain from Huntington).

Our first tying class was held dahntahn. And there was a lot of grumbling about how hard it was to find decent parking there.
So, Tony asked us if we'd rather have the class at his shop. And we voted - by a large majority - to move the weekly classes there.

It was better for everyone. Having all of us novices in his store every week gave quite a boost to his business I'm sure

I miss going toTonys shop,he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. W hen I first started into flyfishing I went to his shop to look at rods.He asked me if I knew how to cast a flyrod and I said "sure". Well he took me in the back yard and I started casting and was pretty proud of myself. When I looked over at Tony he had his head hung down and was shaking it side to side.He said he didnt know how I was even getting the line out there! But he took the time to show me the right way.
Tony is one of the best people I have ever met.

far as i know tony was up at our cabin in may this past year. we have a get together for the drakes there. I didn't make it out this year as i had people here too.

Interesting. I Googled him. Attached is a link to a newspaper article (remember those?) and the second link is info on his induction into the FF Hall of Fame at Allenberry. He sounds like quite a guy.

Tony Morasco

http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=153269698&targetid=profile

I also had tying lesson`s from tony, 1988

Tony was at our TU meeting tonight, and I had an enjoyable talk with him. He's still spry as ever.
Said that he'll be at the cabin fever show next month - still trying to sell off his large FF inventory

dryflyguy wrote:
Tony was at our TU meeting tonight, and I had an enjoyable talk with him. He's still spry as ever.
Said that he'll be at the cabin fever show next month - still trying to sell off his large FF inventory

Did he say how much Honey Bug yarn he has left? He used to have a massive supply.

If anyone goes to the show, be sure to stop and talk to Tony. And buy some of that Honey Bug yarn!

TB -

I don't tie them - so I didn't ask him about the honey bug materiel.
If you'd like though, I'll see if I can get some for you it at cabin fever

dryflyguy wrote:
TB -

I don't tie them - so I didn't ask him about the honey bug materiel.
If you'd like though, I'll see if I can get some for you it at cabin fever

Thanks but I'm pretty well set for honey bug yarn. I just thought other people might be interested.

And mainly I want to encourage people to who go to Cabin Fever to stop and talk to Tony. He's a real nice guy, and a one of a kind, unique individual. And in a good way.

whats cabin feaver all about. wheres it at and such

I have a 30 year old card of Tony's Honey Bug yarn with a few wraps left on it. Scott

marcusmtch wrote:
whats cabin feaver all about. wheres it at and such

http://pwwtu.org/cabinfever.html

Flyfishing show. Feb. 24. Sheraton, Mars, PA. North of Pittsburgh. Put on by Penns Woods Chapter of Trout Unlimited.

If you're in the area, check it out, it's a fun show.

Thanks for the update on Tony. Your right, as a beginner back then, he was very helpful and not intimidating in any way.

Hey guys,
Being new to this board, I came across your thread, inquiring about Tony. He's still in the S. Hills, but hasn't had the shop open in years. He's still around, probably in his early 80's I'd say but not doing especially well the last time I visited with him. He could use a friend or two to reach out and chat with him, as he's told me he hardly gets anyone to call or stop by now that he's closed the shop.

He is currently looking for a buyer to purchase the contents of his fly shop, so if anyone is interested, get in touch with him for details. Serious inquiries only. He's made a positive impact on 1000's of fly fishermen over the years and I'm proud to call him a good friend, almost like a father!! Send me a pm if you need his phone number.

Joe

Back