Tomahawk

Susquehanna

Susquehanna

I have searched but I haven't seen anyone discuss this piece of camping, boating, fishing, bushwacking, self protection or to say, multi use tool on this forum.

I am a huge fan of a good Tomahawk. It's uses are endless and there are some out there today that are made well and don't break the bank.

IMO one of my favorites, (I own a few), is the Browning Black Label Shock and Awe. Its compact at 10.5" (easier to hike in and out with), well constructed as it is forged steel in a one piece construction from blade down through the handle and sports a full tang blade so it has a fair amount of umph for its size that is very sharp right out of the box. Its one-piece handle is spiked pommel is hand-wrapped with black nylon para cord for comfort.

The black powder coated sword-grade blade forged from 1055 stainless steel does not hold an edge well (after prolonged use) but it wasn't designed for that, it was designed for durability. I don't mind this aspect because i can put a serious edge on my blades with my stones. However, the one downside to this metal is it will rust so I do not recommend Whetstones over Oil Stones for sharpening. In fact, I would recommend leaving a slight oil coating on the blade. I will add too that the spike in the back can do serious damage to wood or anything. It can literally penetrate 1/4" steel.

The sheath is well designed and well constructed also. The Blade-Tech molded polymer sheath with Tek-Lok belt clip easily adjusts for any carry angle and any belt loop width.

IMO this Tomahawk is the standard for anyone looking for a good compact Tomahawk but does not want to throw out a ton of dough. It just needs taken care of like most equipment. Browning also makes this Tomahawk in a 13" model called the Shock and Awesome for those wanting a bit more power but aren't looking for something so compact. I've always been a fan of Browning, still love my Belgium made 20 gauge semi auto I got in the 60's

ck-brx320110bl-a.jpg

Any of you guys use a Tomahawk and have a favorite?

Great topic,
I use mine as a tool in the garden, so I like a hammer side. I have a Gerber hawk (not sure the model) that I use to make stakes and rails. I guess I use mine more as a light hatchet.

i used to prefer traditional hawks ,with wooden mattock style handles etc.

i wasn't too fond of the tacticool mall ninja style of modern hawks, BUT i lucked into two SOG fasthawks for $8 apiece and was very impressed. they're fun.

i usually camp with an axe or hatchet,but i may switch to a hawk for some apps.

Back