TMC 2488 troubles

Jessed

Jessed

I bought a few packs of TMC 2488 in sizes 18,20,22 for midges and smaller caddis patterns. I really liked the wide hook gap and smaller shanks of the 2488 but when it came time to fish them I noticed I couldn’t get a fish to stick with them, it was almost like fishing with a hook that’s been bent too far forward. I’ve changed hook sets and I’ve even watched a trout eat the nymph in shallow water and still the same result. I’ve used and liked the 2487 ( curve shank scud hook) for small midges and smaller caddis patterns and had no problems hooking fish. Just when you get past 20 the 2488 looked more appealing because of the wide gap. Anyone ever have this problem? I find it so weird because I know this is a super popular and loved hook! Thanks

Jesse

IMO, the 2487 produces better hook ups because the turned down eye puts the line, and therefore the force of the hookset, closer in line with the hook point. Tie some tippet to a 2488 and pull the hook against a hard surface, you'll see the hook point rotate or rock rather than driving straight in.

Incidentally, I found this to be less of a problem with smaller sized as they seem to just bury themselves to the bend. But larger sizes tended to be more problematic. Mustad C46's also drove me nuts. Now I just stick to turned down eyes. If you're worried about gap width, try an offset point style of hook. Daiichi has a good one, I forget the model...

Thanks kev, it was super frustrating tying a dozen size 16-18 flies in the 2488 only to not be able to stick a fish. I did buy size 20-22 hopefully they will give me better results! Everyone I’ve ever met looks at me like they have no clue what I’m talking about and have great things to say about the 2488! Weird

I had that same problem with the 2488's and similar style hooks.
On the smaller sizes, slightly offsetting the hook point helped.
On the the larger sizes, offsetting and turning the hook point slightly inward made a world of difference.

I've never had a problem hooking fish with the 2488. Maybe because I don't tie nymphs on the size 20 and 22's. I use them for my dry midge patterns and some micro caddis patterns. Come to think I don't use the larger sizes for nymphs either. My go to caddis dry fly is the CDC and Elk. I tie them on size 14, 12 and 10 2488's. I also do some emerger patterns on the 10's.

Back