Tips....Palmering hackle tied in by the stem

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
As a beginning tier, I found link here very helpful.
Also welcoming PAFF Members wisdom & experience pls.

https://thequiltedtyer.com/2016/12/19/fly-tying-101-how-to-palmer-a-full-body-hackle-that-has-been-tied-in-by-the-stem/

Thanks for that! I always tied in the tip at the tail end of the fly and wrapped forward. I used copper wire also tied in at the rear wrapped forward to secure the hackle. i have to admit some of my hackle has pulled out and become unwrapped on the fly. I guess there could be a couple causes of that including that the wire is more difficult to keep snug and also that my tie in at the head is not secure enough. I am anxious to try this method.
I am curious if anyone else ties in tip and wraps forward?

Me too. Tie in by tip at base of tail - wrap forward. Counter wrap with fine wire.

riverwhy wrote:
Thanks for that! I always tied in the tip at the tail end of the fly and wrapped forward. I used copper wire also tied in at the rear wrapped forward to secure the hackle. i have to admit some of my hackle has pulled out and become unwrapped on the fly. I guess there could be a couple causes of that including that the wire is more difficult to keep snug and also that my tie in at the head is not secure enough. I am anxious to try this method.

I am curious if anyone else ties in tip and wraps forward?

Either way works.

Tying wooly buggers, I most often tie in the tip of the saddle hackle at the rear of the hook and wrap forward. Most saddle feather are tapered with the heavier slightly longer hackle nearer to the base of the feather. I like my flies to be tapered and with heavier hackle near the eye of the hook. I often take an extra wrap near the eye and tie off. No real right or wrong....just different.

afishinado wrote:
Tying wooly buggers, I most often tie in the tip of the saddle hackle at the rear of the hook and wrap forward. Most saddle feather are tapered with the heavier slightly longer hackle nearer to the base of the feather. I like my flies to be tapered and with heavier hackle near the eye of the hook. I often take an extra wrap near the eye and tie off.

I do this too. ^

One of my challenges is that many of my feathers taper very suddenly from finer shorter fibers to thicker longer fibers.

riverwhy wrote:
One of my challenges is that many of my feathers taper very suddenly from finer shorter fibers to thicker longer fibers.

I tie a lot of buggers as well as other palmered-hackled flies for trout as well as bass flies.

I find using the Whiting Bugger Pack streamer hackle works very well for me. Many sizes to choose from as well as feathers that are long and have very little taper which are ideal for palmering flies.

Whiting Bugger Hackle Packs

afishinado wrote:
Tying wooly buggers, I most often tie in the tip of the saddle hackle at the rear of the hook and wrap forward. Most saddle feather are tapered with the heavier slightly longer hackle nearer to the base of the feather. I like my flies to be tapered and with heavier hackle near the eye of the hook. I often take an extra wrap near the eye and tie off.

I do this too. ^

Same.

I also use some Whiting bugger packs.

Some good, webby feathers can be found on some dry fly saddles, too....if you know what to look for. ;)

Back