Tips for tying parachute dries

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Dave_W wrote:
Parachute dries.

I think I'm a good tier but these have always vexed me and I'm rarely satisfied with the finished product. Nevertheless I'll continue to crank 'em out as I find they fish very well and are definitely the ticket for a variety of situations that are pretty common in PA dry fly fishing.

PennKev wrote:
If you search the web, particularly Youtube, you will see a surprising variety of different ways in which to tie parachutes. Some ways are better and easier than others. The methods that involve "tying off" on the post with just a drop of super glue are easiest and produce the best results for me.

Also, the post material and tie in method is pretty important when it comes to ease of tying. Synthetic yarns work great and I tend to use them on all my parachute flies. Again, there is surprising variety in how to tie the post to the hook shank.

From another thread ^

I tie a lot of parachutes and learned to tie them from a guide/tyer back in the early 90's, that tied a thousands of dozens of them at Blue Ribbon flies.

The pattern matches size and colors of natural.

Tie in the tail.

Tie in a post of poly yarn as a wing 2 eye lengths behind eye of hook. (I simply lay the yarn parallel to the shank and wrap a few tight wraps around the shank and wrap the thread around both sections of the yarn on top of the shank in a circular motion up and back down the post).

I work my thread back around the shank and down towards the tail.

Dub a thin tapered body to the post, around it, in front of the post and finish your dubbing just behind the eye.

At that point whip finish the head to finish off the body.

Reposition the hook in the vise 90* with the hook shank facing upwards and the post facing forward. (I find this position is best since it allows you to lay your hand on the vise head to tie in the hackle).

Strip the bottom portion of a hackle feather above the webby fibers at the base and trim it leaving a half inch or so of stem.

Align the stem along the base of the post and start your thread around the post and stem.

Start at the base and wrap up and down the post and back up the post to cover about 1/8" (More space on larger flies and less on smaller flies).

Leave a little bit of bare stem above your wraps which allows you to easily orient the hackle. You will find the thread wraps and stem stiffen the post allowing for easy wrapping of the hackle in the next step.

Use hackle pliers to wrap your hackle with touching wraps down towards the base.

When you reach the base take a few wraps around the post to lock the hackle in place.

With your dubbing needle apply some head cement or superglue to the thread and whip finish around the hackle base with a few turns and trim your thread and tag end of the hackle feather.

Trim the post to about the same length of the hook Shank.

NOTES: For parachutes I like to use hackle one sizer longer than I would when tying catskill ties. E.g. size 12 hackle for a size 14 parachute.

Try to use the finer thread that's the same color as the wing for wrapping around the post for a neater looking job.

Back