Tips for Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park?

TheDude

TheDude

I'm considering spending a week visiting the Smoky Mountains for our family vacation, most likely in August. Can anyone give advice on things to see & do in and around the national park?

Right now I don't have too much to start with, I just see that it's a huge park and I imagine there are lots of the little mountain streams that I love. I've seen the Appalachian Mountains of PA, and I imagine it's different enough down there to be something new and interesting. I plan to look at some visitors guides or maybe the GSMNP website

Trout fishing is just one of several things for me consider. I also have to think about other things to do together with my wife and our two year old daughter, like site seeing, entertainment, etc. My wife is not a big outdoors lover, so we might consider a resort with cabins as a compromise and for more things to do near the house instead of a cabin in the middle of the woods.

Any help from those who've been there or anyone else would be great! Thanks.

Take them up to Clingman's Dome, There are dozens of hikes to waterfalls. You can be the bane of fly anglers by renting some innertubes and floating the Little River. You can sightsee in Cades Cove and see what is happening at the Tremont Center.

Gatlinburg is a tourist mecca. Park the car long-term and walk around. You can be entertained all day. Pigeon Forge area has more entertainment options. Take patience in and around the last two areas mentioned.

As an added footnote to what Jack has said, be sure to check out Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg. It's actually pretty cool.

My girls had a dance convention there 2 years ago. We stayed at a hotel called Park Vista tucked off to the side of town into the side of a mountain. I think we got a special rate due to the large group we had, but typically it's like $100 a night... worth it for the view... amazing every morning to walked out on the balcony and see the Great Smokeys rise in front of you. The hotel itself was OK. Fabulous in it's heyday, but still good.

I was able to rent a car and drive around fly fishing all week while the girls took classes. Jack has pretty much nailed the overview of fly fishing.

Another added note: smallmouth fishing is good on both the lower Little River and Pigeon River. And Tennessee smallies are on average bigger and meaner than around here. Fun as all-getout.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will make sure to look into all the places mentioned. I'll probably have a few follow up questions once my wife and I get time to sit down and try to make plans. Thanks again!

I will post a trip report when I get back from NC/TN. Should be a couple weeks before you go, so data should be relevant.

I would highly recommend visiting the www.randrflyfishing.com site. R&R Flyfishing is Ian and Charity Rutter and they great guides for the smokies area and they can also give you advice on some lodging (Cabins or clean motels) and other aspects for a Smokies vacation.

Stop by the Smokey Mountain Angler if your in Gatlinburg. They had what was hatching and any other flies that were working at the time. Also, they have fishing licenses there. I can't remember the price. They also have a guide service if you want to spend some cash.

My wife and I went to Gatlinburg two years ago in March. The stream temps were in the low 40's so not much activity. I tried the Little Pidgeon River and the West Prong Little River. Both looked like they had potential if 1- the temps were higher and 2- I was good at fishing.

nc mountain property for sale
As we all know that North Carolina is one of the most amazing and magnificent places in America. Not just the Americans but people across the world are fan of this ever rich wonder of the world. There are many different wild life parks and holiday resorts in several cities across the entire mountain range. Today everyone is busy in their routine activities and have no time to catch a glimpse of Mother Nature.

Another useful method to search for a log cabin is to search through the internet on any of the trusted website of the famous property dealers in any of the particular city of North Carolina. There you will find the best rates and a big variety of different types of log cabins according to the requirements of your family.

I will likely be going in August as well, though we haven't set up detailed plans.

We usually on and off camp, meaning we'll camp for 1 or 2 nights, move and get a room somewhere so we can clean up and get a good nights sleep, then camp again, etc.

Never been there though, just learning about the streams like you.

>>I will likely be going in August as well,>>

Take your smallmouth gear/flies. That time of year, it is by far the best fishing in the park. They're virtually everywhere that's more than 25 feet wide, especially the Little River, Deep Creek, the lower Oconaluftee and the lower sections of Abrams Creek that require a hike.

I lived in Charlotte for a number of years and fished over there and the National Forests in NC extensively. Unless the Summer is uncommonly wet and cool, trout fishing is very, very difficult all through the region in high Summer. Low flows are the lesser part of the problem. That geology combined with that latitude rockets the water temps up into the 70's in a blink. The guides and area experts will tell you August is still eminently fishable in the higher elevation streams. This is mostly Chamber of Commerce talk and is maybe a 46% truth. Even the smaller creeks get into the 70's.

Take a big-ssa hatpin or a grappling hook with you too and practice your mentally unbalanced look in the mirror before you go. In the Summer, the Park is lousy with tubers. There are big commercial operations that load up all the medium to large streams with tubers all day.

If this is s a family vacation, maybe you could convince your wife that October would be better.

The bass fishing is really good though. There's some serious bass in these creeks, up to 5 lb.

If this is s a family vacation, maybe you could convince your wife that October would be better.

Not gonna happen. Trip was dreamed up because we both have work trips to the area (ORNL), separated by a week. She flies down, works at ORNL for a full week. On Saturday, I drive down with all the camping gear, pick her up, and we vacation the following week. Then she drops me off at my hotel at ORNL and drives home, I do my few days of work there and fly home.

Both of us waiting on verification from our respective employers that the work-related part of the trips are actually gonna happen. Me, for one, is lookin more doubtful now regarding the timing of the trip.

You know me, I do like hiking and the headwater streams. Though I appreciate me some smallies too. Thanks for the advice. And you sure its EXACTLY 46%? lol..

Back