Tippet twisting

mute

mute

Does anyoen experience your tippet twisting up when streamer fishing? Everytime i streamer fish and strip in the fly the tippet gets all twisted and i have to straighten it out and let the fly spin around until its all straight again. Its rather annoying because if i dont check it every few casts it ends up gettign too tight and turns into a knot.

I'd say it's a fact of life...

I like to offset such negatives by catching a few fish :p

Honestly though, if you're tying your own... try to make them more hydrodynamic and symmetrical. Also use bigger hooks so it will ride point-down.

I'm not much of a streamer fisherman so perhaps others will have some more tried and true tips.

the problem might that you are fishing with a leader that is too small for the size of fly that you are fishing with

a good point.

I don't go smaller than 4x or at smallest 5x for streamers.

Plus hold the fly in the water in front of you and see if it spins when you move it, the fly might not be balanced right, do this after you correct the tippet problem first..

What size tippet are you using? Most people I talk to use the same size tippet for dry fly and streamer fishing. You definately want to go up a few sizes for streamers! They are way bulkier and much larger than dries. 5x won't stand up to a size 8 wooleybugger! Go with 3x or so. With a clouser, you may even want to go heavier.

Really, you should have a different leader all together for streamer fishing. Probably something short (like a 7.5' leader or so).

The twists are probably coming into the line when you are casting, also. Try to minimize your false casts.

Tippet's too small. False cast less.

Back