Tippet twist

henrydavid

henrydavid

I had an unusual amount of line twist on my tippet this past Monday.
Any input onto what might be the causes.

I changed my leader this week and instead of loop to loop fly line to leader connection I used an Albright knot. The knot's "not" perfect but holds well, it has a slight hump so I'm not ruling that out as a possible cause.

A large hopper twisted me up pretty well today, but it caught fish soooo....

Long tippets don't help.

But the culprit is more often than not the fly. When one side of the fly has more wind resistance than the other, it twists up. I have some issues with cut wings, but the cut wing thorax ties are usually ok for me. For me it's usually a fly that's unraveling, or a spinner pattern that got one wing all screwy.

As stated above the twisting problem is probably fly related. The main reason for my post is that I don't know what the advantage is to using an Albright knot for your leader to fly line connection. The Albright is a very popular knot for connecting fly line to backing on a saltwater set up. It is a very secure knot but requires the fly line to be doubled over into a bight to tie it which creates a bulkier profile that would tend to hang up a lot more on the eyelets of your rod. A nail knot is a much more streamlined knot for that connection.

Two common problems that cause the leader to twist:

1) The fly is too large for the diameter of the tippet

2) Some flies like very large cut wing dry flies can cause the fly to "propeller" during casting, especially when tied to smaller diameter tippet.

thanks for the replies

do410 I'm still unable to tie a blood knot, I've used different knots and loops on my fly line to leader connection, just trying out the albright knot, it seems as good as anything else I've used. I am still practicing knot tying and hopefully will get the nail knot tied someday.

Henrydavid,

You are not alone, many folks struggle with the nail knot. There are many different tools on the market to assist in tying one. I would recommend going to a fly shop and ask them to show you how to use the different tools they have available. Then ask to practice tying a few with it before actually buying one. The most important part in the nail knot is being able to tuck the one end of the mono under your loops (that is where the tool will help you). Also managing the loops and keeping them lined up when you tighten up the knot can be challenging. Keep an old fly line and spool of heavier mono around and keep practicing. Eventually you will get it. Good luck.

Every time I see someone recommending a nail knot tool, it makes me cringe.

It's harder to learn how to use the tool than it is to tie a nail knot without one.

Ed, that looks very interesting, but it isn't exactly a nail knot. If it works just as well, then I like it as a replacement. First time I have seen it so simplified.

Actually, the finished knot is exactly the same as a nail knot tied with a tool.

It's just an easier way to tie the nail knot, no tool necessary.

I learned a nail knot using a piece of mono instead a nail, from a youtube video. Its a little bit of a pain to tie, but nothing that gives me fits. Now blood knots...yeah I'm having some trouble with them.

Pick up the latest issue of Fly Fishing magazine (I think that's the one.. they've got it at Walmart here). It has a very cool blood knot variety that involves tying the two lines together in a half-hitch first so they can't move about

Ah, Fly Fisherman Magazine

https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/products.php?product=Fly-Fisherman-Made-Easy-2013-Beginners-Guide

The knot I use for both tying fly line to backing and leader to fly line is a knot I learned in a book titled Fishing Dry Flies for Trout on Rivers and Streams by Art Lee. I think it's called the unit-knot or unit splice knot. Anyway, it is the easiest knot to tie and I have never had it slip. I had nothing but problems when I used the loop to loop setup. This book also has a really helpful drawing on hand postion for tying a blood knot. Made it easy for me.

Next, when I have experience tippet twist is when I'm using too thin of tippet for the size fly I'm using. Such as using a medium sized hopper on 6X tippet. That may not be your cause but there it is.

I use the old fashion nail knot for the line to leader connection, using either a nail or often I tear apart a pen and use the tube. I do struggle with it and may play with HA's method.

That said, I have NEVER had to do a nail knot streamside, and don't carry a tool. I make 2 or 3 a year, sitting in my house. And despite being a pain, it doesn't slow me down any, so I never considered it a "problem". I use blood knots for all leader and tippet knots, which I can do quickly streamside.

For thos of you who use nail knots. How do you switch leaders while fishing. I have a nymph leader and dry leader and I change them as I need too. Does your first section of mono have a loop?

I use a mono loop connector about 5 or 6 inches long. Perfection loop on one end to attach to the leader and the other end nail knotted to the fly line. I can usually get a whole season out of one of these connectors.

Nail knot tool = awesome. Love it, easy to use.

Line / leader connection for me....braided loop (aka Chinese finger trap). Cut the length down, work it onto line and secure with 5 nail knots of fluro. Never ha one come loose, easy to change leaders and floats nicely.

As mentioned by others, tippet that's too light is typically the issue. There are times or some specific patterns that do like to twist your tippet. I'd go to heavier tippet first. That doesn't work, get rid of that fly. When your leader gets all twisted up, your first step should be to cut off the tippet up past where the twisting starts. Example: fly on 6x that twisted your leader. You will have to remove the 6x section, probably have to remove the 5x and maybe even the 4x. Once it gets jacked up, it's ruined. You can't straighten it back out.

A nail knot is fairly easy to tie. I use a fly tying bobbin, Works very well. Just wrap the knot over the stem. Push the tag end through. Slide it off and tighten. Vary simple that way. No need for a special tool. I then use a short pc. of mono with a loop. Been doing it that way for as long as I can remember. As far as twist I agree usually the fly or too light of a tippet or too soft of a tippet. Just my 2cents.

GenCon

Back