Tippet Rings

Baron

Baron

Who uses tippet rings and what size should I use for 0x-2x.

If it is for streamer fishing why not just go to a micro swivel? I use them for bass and steelhead on 2X leaders with success.

A week or two ago, I figured i'd give tippet rings a shot. I picked up a pack from Bass Pro, i'm not sure what size they are.

I fished with them on 3 separate outings now for about 9-10 hours total.

My overall impression is that they have their place. They save me time & my leader. I cut my leader back to where it began to get thicker, tied on the tippet & what ever length 5X I wanted (Throwing dry dropper)

Prior I found myself not changing flies as much because I didn't want to chop down on my leader or tie more knots. But with the tippet rings, I just cut off and retie if it's too short with no worries of adding extra knots.

Although I'm a professional :) when I get a tangle I also dont spend 10 minutes unraveling it, hack it off and retie. Back to fishing in 2 minutes.

When I'm fishing in the Pads I tend to use streamers of on sort or another and I tend to switch allot . I sort of use them as searching patterns and when I finally get one that works I stick with it until it stops working on an average afternoon, say 6 hrs or so) I may use a dozen of my favorite flies. I felt like the tippet ring would save me allot of leaders, make me more consistent and help me recover during tangles just like Dusty, above.
Atf, while I use the micro swivels when Spinning I don't see the need for them when FF as I haven't noticed twisting.

dustyroads85 wrote:
A week or two ago, I figured i'd give tippet rings a shot. I picked up a pack from Bass Pro, i'm not sure what size they are.

I fished with them on 3 separate outings now for about 9-10 hours total.

My overall impression is that they have their place. They save me time & my leader. I cut my leader back to where it began to get thicker, tied on the tippet & what ever length 5X I wanted (Throwing dry dropper)

Prior I found myself not changing flies as much because I didn't want to chop down on my leader or tie more knots. But with the tippet rings, I just cut off and retie if it's too short with no worries of adding extra knots.

Although I'm a professional :) when I get a tangle I also dont spend 10 minutes unraveling it, hack it off and retie. Back to fishing in 2 minutes.
Totally agree. I haven't replaced a leader since using a tippet ring. I try to keep things simple, and this works well. I just go through a lot of 5X.
:)

I use 5/64th which is 2mm. They make replacing your tippet very easy.

thank Coyote, thats the # I was lookin for.

The 5/64" 2.0mm was too small for my eyes and fingers. I use the 3/32" 2.5mm. Sorry, I didn't mention that.

I ordered that. Once I thought about it I figured, with my eyesight, I better go a hair bigger.

I have been using them a few years now and love them. I have two leaders ready to go at all times, one with a tippet ring for throwing dries and one with a micro swivel for throwing anything else. I generally only use one or two leaders a year using this method. I have a loop on the end of my fly line so a quick change can be made between the two leaders based on fishing conditions. Tight Lines !!

I like tippett rings and am curious about micro swivels. Any advice about what to buy and where to buy them would be appreciated.

For my multi-fly nymph rigs, I have used 2mm. For streamer set up, 2.5mm round and 3mm oval. Been using them for 3 years and am pretty happy with them. My buddy uses micro swivel for streamer rig and swears by them

I use the 2MM size for trout fishing. I agree that they save you $ on leaders. I have been using them for several years and give a positive review. A note to the first time users, the rings come on a holder. Thread your tippet onto the ring before you remove it from the holder. It will make life much easier that way.

I tried using tippet rings but hated them. I'm very proficient at blood knots and tend to fiddle with my leader setup frequently. I just couldn't get the hang of tying a different knot. To each his own.

I've become a TR user over the past few years, but only for my SMB and panfish fishing. When I'm fishing for smallmouth, I spend a lot of time switching back and forth between 1X for poppers and 2X for subsurface flies. I put a ring at the end of a section of 0X and it saves a lot of fadiddling around with leaders when I could be fishing.

I don't know what size I use, but they are bigger than the smaller ones and smaller than the biggest ones.

Jake is right in #13 above though about capturing the ring while it is still on the snap swivel they come on, though. Otherwise the entire thing can be an exercise in frustration especially for those of us with older eyes.

This Eysight thingy is a common comment on this forum. I wear 2.0 reading glasses but am considering getting a pair that is 3.0 or more just for tying flies in the field.have any of you done this?

"Jake is right in #13 above though about capturing the ring while it is still on the snap swivel they come on, though. Otherwise the entire thing can be an exercise in frustration especially for those of us with older eyes. "
[/quote]

These are the Micro Swivels I use. Had to order them online because I could not find any this small in any stores. Most fly fishing stores have tippet rings but have not caught on to the swivel movement yet. They are great when you are throwing flies that tend to twist.

Attachments

• Micro Swivel.JPG
    Micro Swivel.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 4
This has been a life saver for dealing with small dries and my old eyes. I tend to change flies more often since I picked this up. Line Cutter, Hook Eye Point and Threader all in one.

Attachments

• Line Threader.png
    Line Threader.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 4
Out4Trout wrote:
These are the Micro Swivels I use. Had to order them online because I could not find any this small in any stores. Most fly fishing stores have tippet rings but have not caught on to the swivel movement yet. They are great when you are throwing flies that tend to twist.

I bought these somewhere. I don't even know what brand. I think I bought them in VT. Anyway they're very small and they make a big diff when using spinning reels. Maybe I'll try them on fly leaders.

Attachments

• IMG_6277.jpeg
    IMG_6277.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6276.jpeg
    IMG_6276.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2
Out4Trout wrote:
This has been a life saver for dealing with small dries and my old eyes. I tend to change flies more often since I picked this up. Line Cutter, Hook Eye Point and Threader all in one.

Could you say more about this please. Maybe a demo or brand name.

Back