Tippet Rings

gulfgreyhound

gulfgreyhound

Any recommendations,pros, cons, what size for which leader,where to purchase? I have no experience in this area. GG :-?

streamsideleaders.com. Click on "Online Store" and then "Tippet Rings" at bottom of page. He tells you on that page what size ring for different sized leaders. Hope that helps

Tco sells tippet rings, just got some myself to play with. They only had the one size, hope your eyes are good. They're kinda small. ;-)

Love 'em. Just one thing, tie one on while it's still on the little clamp they come on, makes things a hell of a lot easier.

I've been using tippit rings for a while now. I used to put a small loop in the end of my leader and then connnect the tippet with a loop to loop connection in order to keep the leader formula in tact as the tippet broke off or was cut down. When the tippet gets too short I replace it. That system was imporved remarkably by the addition of a tippet ring. I've used them for dry fly fishing, nymphing, streamer and steelhead fishing with good results across the board. As mentioned above, youll need to keep them on the clamp or put them on a safty pin when tying them to the leader to give you something to pull on.

I buy mine from Feather Craft. They size them based on line size. Safety pin is definitely necessary to manage on stream.

I use knots. They cost less and are harder to drop.

Tippet rings are great.

I have just recently started using the tippet rings. I really like them. I am easily able to tell when the tippet section needs replaced and I don't need to use up a couple inches of the next leader section to tie the knot. I tied up a few leaders and just left off the tippet. I will add whatever tippet I need at that time.

Obviously a lot of you like tippet rings, but I'm really curious to read specifics about why people like these things. I can think of a few theoretical negatives, which I won't go into because they are all theoretical, but I can't really think of a positive.
So far, I have heard that it makes for faster knot tying, allows for easy identification of the end of the tippet, and saves on leader material that would get used up in adding tippet.
I can't imagine how tying off to a ring could be faster than tying a surgeons knot, but I guess different folks tie knots differently. When I used extruded leaders I would always find the end of the tippet section and cut it off, and then knot it back on with a triple surgeons knot. That makes finding the end easy enough. I have to agree that it does seem like a tippet ring would save on leader material being chewed up with each addition of new tippet, but realistically is that going to amount to much of a savings over the cost and frustration associated with those tiny little rings?
Am I the only guy that thinks it makes more sense to just keep it simple and tie a knot?

Let's not forget another positive, it gives you a VERY good place to tie in a dropper. But then again, if you aren't seeing a real benefit from the saving of leader material and keeping your formula in tact, this small positive won't matter either.

Tying a knot is also easy and I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Anyone of us could name a dozen things in FF we swear by that others shake their head at.

Face it, we FFer's are gadget and fad people, it is that simple. I used surgeon's knots forever but I simply like the tippet ring because it solves things that were problems for me.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm a gadget guy and the rings looked like one less knot to tie with aging eyes. GG

I have used tippet rings for about the last 6 or 7 years. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. In fact I can't think of any disadvantage except maybe the extra cost of the rings.

Back