tippet ring set-up?

C

coyote

I'm new to all of this, but I'm wondering what the benefit is to cutting off two feet of a 9 ft. leader to add the tippet ring.

anything wrong with adding the tippet ring to the end of the whole leader and adding additional tippet material to that to attach the fly?

thanks!

coyote wrote:
anything wrong with adding the tippet ring to the end of the whole leader and adding additional tippet material to that to attach the fly?
thanks!

You could certainly do this but that would, in effect, increase or double the length of your tippet and it may wind up too long and might cast or perform poorly.

The idea behind a tippet ring is that is is a link between the tippet and the next thicker/stronger section of your leader. The advantage of the TR is that it is easier to tie a new length of tippet to a ring rather than tying a blood knot or some similar difficult knot that would be used to connect two ends of monofilament.

appreciate the reply, Dave_W.

so, about two feet should be cut off a 9 foot leader, is that about right?

Another good approach is to buy a 7 1/2 foot leader that is tapered to 3x.

Use this as your base leader. Attach the tippet ring to end.

Then add tippet to the tippet ring to suit the conditions and fly you are using.

For fishing streamers and big weighted stonefly nymphs, just add some 3x. You shouldn't go lighter than 3x for streamers.

For moderately big flies, have 4x coming off the tippet ring.

For medium sized flies, add 4x to the tippet ring, then tie on 5x as your final tippet.

(I use 5x as a final tippet size more than any other size, and I think that is true of most flyfishers for trout in PA.)

For small stuff, use 4x, 5x, then 6x as your final tippet.

coyote wrote:
appreciate the reply, Dave_W.

so, about two feet should be cut off a 9 foot leader, is that about right?

Yes, pretty much.
Most trout fishing tippets are about two feet. It depends. There's no hard and fast rule for tippet length.

thanks to both of you Gentlemen!

I'm a big fan of tippet rings and use them on the ends of all my leaders.

One other reason to cut off the length of tippet that is at the end of a tapered leader is that you want the connection from the ring to your leader to be stronger than it is from the ring to your tippet. That way, in the event of a snag, the tippet you added onto the ring will break off and leave the ring attached to the end of your leader so you just have to add more tippet.

I use a Palomar knot to tie the ring to my leaders and then I use a Trilene knot to tie the tippet to the ring. Then I tie either a clinch knot or an improved clinch to my fly. The idea is to have the strongest knot go down to the weakest knot so that when you get a snag you lose the least amount of your rig as you can...

When tying the Palomar knot, leave about 6 inches or so of the tippet from the end of the leader to be sacrificed for tying the knot. The Palomar knot is very strong and I am a fan of it, but you waste a pretty decent amount of line when tying it.

Also, make sure you leave the tippet ring on the swivel to begin tying and be SURE to use the ring that will be the next one to slide off the swivel before you begin tying. I have learned this the hard way (WAY more than once I might add...).

I hope this is some help and good luck.

thank you, MathFish!

appreciate the reasoning behind your recommendations!

I also use tippet rings on pretty much every trout leader I use. I usually just buy a 9' 3x leader, cut off the tippet and add the ring right where the leader starts to taper. Then you can fish tipped from 3x and lower without worrying about losing the tippet ring when you break off a fly in a tree or wherever.

I have actually used even heavier leaders in the past - down to 1x tapered leader. That way you can fish really heavy tippets with big streamers - 2x or 1x, or also attach a much longer (3-4ft), lighter tippet and not worry about it not wanting to turn over.

jeremymcon wrote:
I have actually used even heavier leaders in the past - down to 1x tapered leader. That way you can fish really heavy tippets with big streamers - 2x or 1x, or also attach a much longer (3-4ft), lighter tippet and not worry about it not wanting to turn over.

I also do this all the time. I use the tippet rings as a link between a fairly short heavy 20lb butt and heavy 10-12lb "tippet" of 3' or so. Works great for streamers and I can use the butt as a basis for most of my nymph rigs too. Quality tippet rings are more than adequate for this heavy of a connection.

I have never used A tippet ring before but after reading this now you all got me curious . I think I am going to give them A try but is there any brand or company that anyone would suggest ?

I use the RIO Brand in 2 mm.

Hope this video helps:

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/tuesday-tip-how-to-use-a-tippet-ring-and-perhaps-join-the-dark-side/

Back