Tiny fly storage

Jessed

Jessed

I was wondering how some of you store flys 18+? I have been putting flies like a 22 caddis pupa next to other caddis pupas of other sizes. They fit fine but seem to be buried and look like they don’t belong in that box. Does anyone use a box just for midges or other smaller flies? Thanks

I use boxes with small compartments and leave the flies loose in them, rather than trying to mess with putting hook points in foam.

It's easy to pluck individual flies out with hemostats.

I prefer to fish light and compact. A couple of these boxes can hold more flies than I can use in a hard weekend of fishing, and take up no space.

I actually use them for pretty much everything except larger streamers.

Attachments

• IMG_20191114_153549.jpg
    IMG_20191114_153549.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20191114_153724.jpg
    IMG_20191114_153724.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 6
For reference, the flies in the pictures are size 12, 14, and 16.

I have other boxes with 18, 20, and 22 flies in them.

These compartment fly boxes are very compact and have a magnetic bottom to hold small flies in place without losing them. You can easily select a fly and pick it up with your hemostats.

https://www.orvis.com/p/super-slim-vest-fly-boxes/4y62

Attachments

• 4Y61SF2comprt.jpg
    4Y61SF2comprt.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
I store the small flies in a magnetic box similar to the one shown above but with more compartments.

I tie down to size 32 in a TMC 518 (no longer available) and a Tiemco 2488 in size 30.

The dries go in a regular dry fly compartment in a Richardson Box while the nymphs/pupae go in a foam sheet.

I have zero issues with retrieval or compartment migration.

If I was using fly boxes I would do the same thing, in other words, nothing fancy.

The only place I use magnetic sheets is in my fly tying hook storage boxes because a bare hook has a tendency to migrate between compartments more than a dressed hook.

Much appreciated guys. I’ll pick a box up

Can't post a pic, but I use the Tiemco six-pack boxes for

I use one of these. I can put the ones I use most on a threader, before I head out. Makes attaching them to the tippet easy.

Jim

https://www.avidmax.com/c-f-design-cf-201-small-midge-threader-fly-box-micro-slit-foam-msf/

SteveG wrote:
I've tried the magnetic boxes with the foam compartments, but small flies tend to get all mixed up bc there is still a gap between the lid and foam.
Many moons ago I started using thin closed cell foam as a lid liner in hook boxes to prevent hook migration.

The stuff I am referring to is very thin, white colored and used to cushion fragile items when packed. In the trade it is called "protective foam" and is sold in rolls or bags and can be found as thin as 1/32".

It also can be used to make wing cases on emergers because it floats which is another reason I hoard it when I get some in a package.

The stuff is so thin it doesn't interfere with the lid closing, but it closes those gaps between the lid & the compartment dividers. You can glue it in the lid or just lay it in there.

The only negative is not being able to see through the lid if it is clear but I almost never don't open a box when looking for flies so it isn't a problem for me.

I love the C&F micro slit fly boxes! They come in many sizes and configurations. I like the smaller 3" x 4" with, and without the middle swing page. I store all my small dries and nymphs in them. Nothing bigger than a #16 and going down to #24's.

Attachments

• PMD Duns1.JPG
    PMD Duns1.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PMD Emergers2.JPG
    PMD Emergers2.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Small Nymphs side 1.JPG
    Small Nymphs side 1.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 5
Back