Tiny flies for pond trout ?

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

I've been fishing a small local pond that has stocked trout and have caught a few using spinners. I've tried many times to use my fly rod and tossed many different patterns from large to tiny. I've had a few lookers on small caddis nymphs.

But today I put a saine net over my trout net and scooped several times in the water. What "came out" was a size 20 or 22, light brown head, translucent abdomen with a light brown ribbing.

These pond stockies will leap straight out of the water for "something" and also rise to the surface.....dorsal fin just swirling the water. Now my current supply of materials includes micro-tubing in clear, along with a good array of dubbing materials.

Any suggestions of "what to tie" that comes close to this may do the trick.....or the trout may be rising after something I missed. But...it's worth a try.

Thanks.

Maybe a top Secret Midge? The original material is tough to get be fluorofibers, feather fluff, small Kreinick pearl braid have worked for me and i suppose Antron or something else would as well. Maybe a small starling hackle wet fly? Maybe the simplest midge would be a thread body with a dubbed thorax.

Zebra midge and top secret midge for a good start. Midges are very important to pond dwelling fish whether it be bluegills, trout or any other panfish. Midges in black, red and olive are good colors to start with.

Foam spiders, beadhead any color dubbing on a pupa hook under an indicator. Tiny buggers. No need for anything fancy.

Thanks gents. I'm going to tie up just white thread, rib it with 12.0 light brown and use a spat of brown dubbing for a head.

The white should turn translucent when wet, which is what the tiny bug looks like. I'll see if that stirs up any action.

Not the best picture quality but I tied these up on a size 22. I pre-tied 'em on 7X and put a nail knot on the other end for quick tie in at the pond. I'll see how they work in a few days.

fGjbuthl.jpg

Got a chance to try these at the pond. The downside is it wasn't until the afternoon so it did heat up to about 80. Trout would still leap out of the water to grab whatever it was they were after and I could see a few in batches of 3 to 5 swimming about 2' down.

The only thing that was biting this little nymph I tied was the sunny's. However, I figured I had to be close if even the sunny's seem to like it.

Back