Timing of hatches

evw659

evw659

Is anybody thinking about this yet? It's probably too early to forecast an ahead of schedule arrival for our spring hatches in central pa, but this prolonged period of 15-20+ above average temp's has to make a difference in timing I would think. I have a month off between interning/school from early april to early may, so I'm hoping for a slightly early arrival of grannoms, sulphurs, and other hatches around that time. Im hoping that high water doesnt plague us. Thoughts?

I dunno.
I'm inclined to agree that it's too early to make a call on the timing of hatches. Presumably, they might be a few days early. On the other hand, winter could come back with a vengeance in March.

In the meantime, I wouldn't change any fishing plans based on a prediction of early hatches. At this stage, I'd still bet on the usual dates.

Might be a few BWO olives coming off a little stronger here and there but still too early for a prediction of "early hatches".
I must admit I have been thinking about it though. Another 2 weeks of this weather and I might have different answer.

I think the hatches will be slightly early this year. Unfortunately there currently is very little water in the Southeast. The rest of the state looks pretty good. I'm more concerned with the rainfall at this point than whether the early black stones start in Feb since there isn't enough water for me to feel comfortable fly fishing anywhere within 50 mi. Might have to try the local lakes....

The only thing I can accurately predict is that the 3rd weekend in May will rain cats and dogs.

Hopefully one day I will get back to being able to time the hatches. Right now if my wife says I have a day I go, hatches or not.

Just watch the birds and the flowers, the bugs follow right along.

Crocus is in full bloom all over my yard about 1 month early. Saw some in the woods too

I saw black stones on a stream in Adams co yesterday

I saw a Sasquatch picking spring onions while fishing an unnamed gemmie stream. Saw a few green drakes coming off too.

next 10 days have 4 days in the high 60s or low 70s in PA and VA.

I'm going to be shocked if this weather pattern that we've had for 10 or so days already actually bends back towards colder temps.

suckers were very very active on white clay yesterday, and small chubs were fighting the Trout for midges and bwo's.

I think we'll know by mid march whether winter is truly done or not.

I think we'll know by mid march whether winter is truly done or not.

I'd even hazard to predict we'll know for sure on the 21st.... ;-)

Wouldn't be surprised if hatches come early this year due to milder than usual temps and low stream levels. Considering the OP has about the full month of April available, he should do just fine....it's the rest of us that need to gamble with putting our days in the schedule for those long wknd escapes and hope we guessed right two months from now.

I'm more concerned with water levels both above and below ground, we could really use a good month or two worth of soakers to recharge things around these parts. I'd be more than happy to see blown out fishing for all of March and deep into April. Or we could really be in trouble come summertime.

yep. we are back to late summer levels.

Given the weather so far this winter, I'd bet on earlier hatches again.

Although, I'm not so sure about what a "normal" time frame is anymore.
In my 30 years plus of fishing, things have definitely changed a bit.
I still have PA hatch charts from when I first started out. Grannoms and hendricksons didn't usually hatch until the last week of april.
And then started swinging to mid april. And lately, they seem to come during the first or second week - and I remember two years in the last five, when they hatched in march.
Sulphers used to have a scheduled start of mid may. However, I've been fishing them in april quite a bit lately.
Best thing to do, is be prepared for an early appearance

Just got a reliable report of BWO's hatching on a centre county stream this week.
Not surprising, considering the abnormally warm weather - we hit a record high of 76 degrees in the burgh today.

I've been doing yard work the last few days, and things are starting to really pop out of the ground now.
My daffodils are up about 4 inches. And my forsythias are starting to bloom already.
If the weather doesn't cool down a bit, we may see another mad rush of hatches in march

Back