Time To Let The Trout Be

Fredrick

Fredrick

Here is a video that was posted on the Little J River association Face Book page. Time to let the trout be on a majority of of trout streams .
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=274890623819637

The link you followed may have been broken or removed

Thanks for the tip though, i have a thermometer

Still works for me thanks for the heads up try this one you might have to like the LJRA Facebook page to view it . But is a video of a bunch of trout on the LJ hovering over a spring seep trying to seek refuge from the warm water .

https://www.facebook.com/Littlejuniatariver/videos/274890623819637/

I dont participate in facebook, thats prob why i cant see it

Doesnt surprise me though, this time of year sucks more than winter

That's true unless you get a real 2 day gully washer. Then the second day after the rain has stopped it's time to hunt for a BIG brown. If the water has a greenish cast to it even better.I could spot burn, naw. GG

Don’t conditions burn either brah. :p

Personally i prefer low and clear to target big fish.

But not hot.
It is indeed time to let them be in many places.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
That's true unless you get a real 2 day gully washer. Then the second day after the rain has stopped it's time to hunt for a BIG brown. If the water has a greenish cast to it even better.I could spot burn, naw. GG
That's the perfect summer time scenario right there. It's what I pray for, literally.

This is my favorite time to hit the true spring creeks with hoppers. Nothing like 52 degree water to keep you cool on a summer day!

Every time I try to view the video I get the blue screen and my PC crashes.

We got a good soaker last night in SEPA and a fair amount here in SCPA from passing thunderstorms - Breeches went up good bit.
It helps.

Continue to use your thermometer.

Watching the radar it looked like Northern Tioga and Bradford Co got some rain and perhaps Eastern Sullivan Co. Much of that does not show up on stream gauges except for in Tioga. The rest of the NCPA region really could use a good soaking rain. Streams are getting very low, if we don't get significant rain and/or cooler temps in the next two weeks I think that we will see some fish kills. We were spoiled the last two years.

Temperature related trout kills rarely occur all at once; they generally occur incrementally. As a result, a common theme among anglers and their lore is that they never see any dead fish. I only knew of one large(nearly all at once) stocked trout kill related to temperature in 42 yrs. It occurred at the mouth of a cool trib to the Little Schuylkill DH area. What I have witnessed is stocked trout congregated at a trib and the outside members of the pod or school trying to maintain their position either in swifter current or in the warm water/cool water interface. That does not work for long and one by one the fish eventually run out or energy or become overwhelmed by the warmth, lose the ability to stay upright, drift into the warmest water, and are carried downstream as they die. It is likely that as flows diminish and days grow warmer some initially cool tribs even warm to the extent that they no longer adequately serve the needs of congregated trout.

If you place your hand in the mouth of a trib where trout are congregated, at some point across the width of the cooler water you will detect a zone of rapidly varying temperatures as warm water from the main stream swirls in an incomplete mixture of warm and cold currents. What you may also find is that early in the summer 300 stocked trout may be congregated (jammed in) at the mouth of a small, cool trib during the day when the receiving stream is 80 deg F. If the receiving stream temp drops to 71-72 deg F at night or possibly due to a thunderstorm the vast majority of the fish may disperse into the main stream until the next day or next warming period. But recall that even those temp is stressful and are part of the countdown to temperature related mortality (number of 15 min periods per month over 68 deg F).

From competition for cool water and forage standpoints, harvesting some, many, or most of these stocked fish is probably doing the rest a favor.

It is getting really dry in my neck of the woods. It isn't terrible yet but we need some rain. I will be monitoring my stream temps soon and starting a thread about it..I won't be trout fishing, just taking temps in various places on some of my favorite waters to see what the temps are holding.

I was on lower Kish a couple of weeks ago and conditions were great. Water was 64° and flows were good. This is all changing rapidly at this point.

Mike wrote:
From competition for cool water and forage standpoints, harvesting some, many, or most of these stocked fish is probably doing the rest a favor.

Was out briefly this morning on my favorite local STW trying to get some trout to eat. This stream has virtually no cold water tribs or refuge and I got a temp of 70 degrees despite the clouds and rain last night. Had some luck on terrestrials but the fish are spooky. There are a lot of stockies still left in this creek but they rarely survive the summer; saw no dead fish but the creek if full of crayfish and snapping turtles and, as Mike points out, the die off is incremental.

If you like to eat trout, go whack some stockies as they are still numerous even in marginal streams (so far).

I agree Mike that with both wild and stocked trout, thermal kills are seem to be incremental. If this weather pattern persists I think we will see a dip in large fish and number of fish in many small streams next year. This is not an uncommon observation as populations respond to environmental conditions on a year to year basis. I know of several small streams in NCPA where fish are already confined to remaining pools. In regards to stocked trout, I would rather see people catching and keeping them for the freezer than allowing them to compete with wild fish for thermal refugia.

We were spoiled the past two summers, I have caught a solid number of larger brook trout this year that I would credit to more tolerable conditions we experienced the last two summers, even though we did have a brief low water period in August/ September of last year.

Mike wrote:
Temperature related trout kills rarely occur all at once; they generally occur incrementally. As a result, a common theme among anglers and their lore is that they never see any dead fish. I only knew of one large(nearly all at once) stocked trout kill related to temperature in 42 yrs. It occurred at the mouth of a cool trib to the Little Schuylkill DH area. What I have witnessed is stocked trout congregated at a trib and the outside members of the pod or school trying to maintain their position either in swifter current or in the warm water/cool water interface. That does not work for long and one by one the fish eventually run out or energy or become overwhelmed by the warmth, lose the ability to stay upright, drift into the warmest water, and are carried downstream as they die. It is likely that as flows diminish and days grow warmer some initially cool tribs even warm to the extent that they no longer adequately serve the needs of congregated trout.

If you place your hand in the mouth of a trib where trout are congregated, at some point across the width of the cooler water you will detect a zone of rapidly varying temperatures as warm water from the main stream swirls in an incomplete mixture of warm and cold currents. What you may also find is that early in the summer 300 stocked trout may be congregated (jammed in) at the mouth of a small, cool trib during the day when the receiving stream is 80 deg F. If the receiving stream temp drops to 71-72 deg F at night or possibly due to a thunderstorm the vast majority of the fish may disperse into the main stream until the next day or next warming period. But recall that even those temp is stressful and are part of the countdown to temperature related mortality (number of 15 min periods per month over 68 deg F).

I've seen stocked trout floating up from warm water temps twice. Once was on Kettle Creek downstream from the village of Cross Fork. The water was 83F. There weren't huge numbers of them, but there were several. They were floating up, going sideways, losing equilibrium.

Another time I saw large numbers of stocked trout floating up in the delayed harvest area on Lycoming Creek, in the big pool at Powys Bend. That DH area is heavily stocked and the regs keep lots of trout in there, and it gets warm in the summer. I don't remember exactly what the water temp was that day, but I think it was 80F or over.

I agree with Mike that most of the time it is incremental, so you don't typically see a mass fish kill. They probably gradually lose their energy, then a mink or merganser or heron other predator gets them.

Revolution---Evolution---Fisherman----Who are you? Revolving around past experience and teachings-------evolving to new futuristic plans.

Who is right, who is wrong? Maybe none. I think it is possible that all are on the right path. When the paths meet, a beautiful day.

Givers and takers. A day will come when the limit will have no real meaning. Limit will be limitless and catch will be catchless.

A brotherhood is coming. Take some and leave some. I do hear facts, I caught 36 today, put them all back. "How many died". Who knows. I caught 5 and kept them. I like that guy! I know what has left the pool.

As you follow history, more and more is false. History in fly fishing may also have many falsehoods. Today you all want to fish like the experts. You know the "STARS" The boy scout that lives next door who caught a big one, might be the evolutionary expert.

He will tell you all and not charge a dime! How bout that for evolution!

Maxima12

Thioridazine 50mg twice a day for one month then check back for dose adjustment.

Back