Timbers Two Weeks in a Row

Swattie87

Swattie87

Saw another Rattler today. Second one in as many weeks, and on consecutive outings. Good thing chicks dig gaiters.

First one is Potter County, in a relatively well known "Rattly" area.

Second was Mifflin County, and in an area I wouldn't have necessarily expected one. I knew they were potentially there, but I've fished this stream probably close to a dozen times and never saw one. I saw him in plenty of distance, but was still glad I had my gaiters on for the rest of the day when I was walking through knee high ferns.

Neither moved or rattled. Both were within 5 feet of the water and in relatively plain sight. Be careful out there and watch where you step!

Attachments

• 06-12-15 (14) - PAFF.jpg
    06-12-15 (14) - PAFF.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 06-21-15 (6) - PAFF.jpg
    06-21-15 (6) - PAFF.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 2
Nice photos, Swattie. I always like seeing a rattler or two here or there. We ran into one up on Penns Creek on Friday of the jam this year. That is the only one I have seen so far this year but I usually run into one or two a year working in the woods in the Michaux, Tuscarora or Blue Mountain areas.

thanks for the pictures and reminder to keep watching.

Nope nope nope nope

I've been looking for one. Well not really looking, I'm just flipping rocks and logs. Just keeping an eye out. So far no luck. I just want a picture. Where I am isn't quite infested or anything but they are around.

Every time I'm walking over rocks covered in brush I'm holding my breath and looking down.

^what he and shane said!!!!

I LOVE snakes and would never harm one but was wondering if there is a season, or do you need a permit to take/kill them? I've seen guys walking the streams with buckets and tongs searching for them. Do they milk them for the venom??

Foxfire wrote:
I LOVE snakes and would never harm one but was wondering if there is a season, or do you need a permit to take/kill them? I've seen guys walking the streams with buckets and tongs searching for them. Do they milk them for the venom??

Timber Rattlesnake* June 13 through July 31 1 annual limit** (must be at least 42 inches in length, measured lengthwise along the dorsal surface from the snout to the tail, excluding the rattle, and must possess 21 or more subcaudal scales.***)* It is unlawful to hunt, take, catch, or kill timber rattlesnakes west of Route 15 and south of Interstate 81 to the Maryland line where there is no open season.

Reptile Regs

thanks Swattie. I just purchased a pair of gaiters to go over my waders hahaha this plain and simple gave me the heebee geebees

afishinado wrote:
It is unlawful to hunt, take, catch, or kill timber rattlesnakes west of Route 15 and south of Interstate 81 to the Maryland line

Yes - this is the South Mountain region that includes Michaux State Forest. It's been long known that timbers are struggling here as this is something of an eastern/southeastern boundary of their wild population and bumps up against some large human populations (this is even more true down the mountain in Frederick Co MD, but it is still somewhat common to see a timber in Catoctin).

There's an ongoing study that aims to shed some light on the issue. It wouldn't surprise me that the somewhat isolated nature of this area - RT 81 and the Cumberland/Shenandoah Valley form a large barrier between South Mountain and the wilder areas west and north of the valley - may have something to do with the struggling population.

I love the opportunity to see a timber - have always loved reptiles and consider these guys a mark of the wilderness.

dc410 wrote:
We ran into one up on Penns Creek on Friday of the jam this year.

Cool. There's usually at least one fella at the jam who counts a timber. Your description makes two sightings this year that I'm aware of (both vicinity Penns).

Midge22 wrote:
thanks Swattie. I just purchased a pair of gaiters to go over my waders hahaha this plain and simple gave me the heebee geebees

No problem Midge! You'll find they're good for protecting your waders against brush and thorns too.

BTW: I commented in an earlier thread about the coloration of the upper snake (timbers almost come in as many fascinating color ranges as wild trout). The second, lower photo snake is also very interesting. His colors look more typical of the timbers one sees down South - meaning in tidewater VA down thru the deep southern states.
Folks down there call 'em "canebrake" rattlesnakes and they often have light coloration with rust colored bands mixed in with the black bands.

Very cool. I think rattlesnakes are awesome and agree with Fishidiot... they are an iconic species of wilderness.

In all the years of hiking, fishing and camping, I've never seen one in the wild. I've seen quite a few copperheads and countless non-poisonous species. And most memorably I saw a Massasauga rattler at Lake Arthur 4 or 5 years ago. But never a timber.

If you added up all the members on here, the time spent in the outdoors and fishing in PA would add up to millions of hours. I will go out on a limb and state that not one has ever been bitten by a rattlesnake while fishing....relax.

Here are some photos and observations from the first rattler.

As noted on Swattie's original post about our expedition, there was a large spider to the left of the snake. While we watched, the big spider tried to take down a little spider. I found the co-location of the bigger predators somewhat ironic.

For perspective, this is the location of the snake when I originally encountered him (I was about twenty yards upstream from Swattie and my next three steps would have positioned me to cast into the riffle at the head of the little pool). Perspective is upstream.

After a few minutes, the snake slithered around the left corner of the rock and went under it, into the stream. This is from a position slightly upstream. If I was walking back downstream, I wouldn't think twice of walking on the bedrock, between the bank and the rock (over where the little cluster of tadpoles are located).

This was what the scene looked like after the snake moved. If you know it is there, you can almost discern the head of the snake at the little sliver of light reflected in the middle of the rock.

I don't think I would ever have spotted the snake while in this position, which of course led to an onstream discussion about how many other rattlers we may have walked past.

After a bit (maybe he was tired of being wet), he inched out a bit more. I'm still pretty sure I would never have spotted him in this position.

And recoiled (fascinating to watch this process, by the way).

Swattie wanted to fish upstream (to the "next pool"), so we did that, which somehow turned into us not returning to the spot until 1.5 hours later. You know how those "next pool" issues are; there is always just one more upstream. We had to return to retrieve a Gatorade bottle we left at the snake and were hoping to find my brother, who had split just 50 yards downstream to fish up a small hollow. We found the Gatorade bottle, and eventually found the brother back at the campsite. The herp was still under his rock, pretty much unmoved. After a bit, he made a slight adjustment of his posture. He shook his tail exactly once during the whole time we observed him and I don't think it was a warning shake, just incidental movement.

Then, he started to stretch out, with the neck in the classic strike mode.

And slithered off into the grass and saplings beside the stream.

I also have about three minutes of footage I took from a video camera, about nine inches from the snake. The snake never flinched; pretty boring footage on one hand, but neat to pan over the snake from that close. I find the process of digitizing and editing video very onerous, so this may never be available for public consumption.

Timber rattlers I've encountered in life:
maybe 12
1 gold phase, 11 black phase
sizes: 12" to 6'
three of them rattled

One that rattled I was extremely grateful that he did. It was after dark, at my parents' cabin. My wife went over to our car to get out a gallon of water. She described a sound like rustling in the leaves, so I went over, thinking maybe there was a raccoon there. When I heard the sound, I froze, as there is no mistaking the sound of a rattlesnake, once you have heard it. There was a black phase rattler, stretched out from the side of the car, phased uphill into the leaves.

Rattlesnakes are something I often contemplate. I know I have fished in their territory and I know I have hunted in their territory. I keep my dogs out of the woods in the summer months due to my fear that they will find one the hard way. The only times I've seen a rattlesnake were up in the Pine creek area. One was deader than dead, one was very cranky that it had just had it's rattle run over by a 50 mph station wagon but we helped it to the side anyways, and one was along the shoulder of the road. I keep an eye out for them, but I'm not on constant alert when I'm in the woods. With your rattled to non-rattled numbers, I wonder how many I've been near and not known it.

The pics turned out real nice salmonoid. I’ll have to check out the video the next time we fish together.

I’m at 5 encounters:

All were black phase.
12” or so on the smallest to maybe 54”-60” on the biggest one.

2 in Potter County
1 in Centre County
1 in Mifflin County
1 in Schuylkill County

None rattled. I’m familiar with the sound, but only from TV and Youtube.

Back