Tightline advantage

I know there is a lot of good information from Troutbitten, weather articles, videos, podcasts. But the one thing that sort of annoys me, or maybe disappointment is the better description, is that it is almost entirely focused on using the mono rig. Obviously it has its place, but the whole “fly line sucks” concept seems misguided to me. Just my opinion.

I know there is a lot of good information from Troutbitten, weather articles, videos, podcasts. But the one thing that sort of annoys me, or maybe disappointment is the better description, is that it is almost entirely focused on using the mono rig. Obviously it has its place, but the whole “fly line sucks” concept seems misguided to me. Just my opinion.
Yeah, makes me wonder why I don't just lose the fly rod altogether and fish a long spinning rod. Fenwick makes a light power moderate action spinning rod that comes in a 10'6" version and even a 12' version. String it up with some 4 or 6 lb mono and then build a sighter in at the very end just like you would with your fly rod.

I bet I could lob 2 tungsten nymphs with it. I bet I could control it all the same. I might have to try it.

I'm actually gonna buy one and try it out. I might even stop fly fishing all together.
Screenshot 20230212 062927

Under the right conditions, using the right flys, I'm betting I could catch as many or more with my good 'ol fly rod using my good 'ol taper leader tied with some good 'ol tippet.

I'm actually gonna buy one and try it out. I might even stop fly fishing all together.
View attachment 1641228877
A crappie rod would probably be ideal. Super light tip, 10-20 foot lengths. Fly reels aren't really meant to hold 100 yards of mono. A spinning reel would be much more efficient.

Exhibit A:
Screen Shot 2023 02 13 at 60027 PM

I did try the whole mono-rig thing. Bought rods. I still have a Recon 3wt and a reel lined w/ mono.

It's insanely effective. Probably the easiest way to catch a bunch of trout. I think it's a lot more deadly if you're coming from years and years of actual fly fishing knowledge. Reading water, knowing where fish will be, whether they're deep or feeding mid water column, what they're likely eating.

It just isn't my thing. I like to cast fly line. I like casting in general. Especially with short little fiberglass rods in tight quarters through mountain laurel and low hanging branches. I'd rather catch 5 fish all day in technical conditions requiring careful casting than to catch 500 fish slamming tungsten beads in the water repeatedly.

Under the right conditions, using the right flys, I'm betting I could catch as many or more with my good 'ol fly rod using my good 'ol taper leader tied with some good 'ol tippet.
What about the wrong conditions?

Ive fished with Dominic twice. The man is a fishing machine. The monorig is his "system" he fishes streamers, nymphs, dries, dry droppers and indys with it. He is generous enough to share his knowledge FREE for the advancement of the sport.

Fishing with a Floating line and tapered leaders has been written about ad nauseum. Likewise sinking lines. Hundreds of books are available for PURCHASE.

The beauty of this sport is spectrum of ways and water types to fish. Each water has its most effective means and each fisherman enjoys the sport in their own way. Big fish, native fish, wild fish, stocked fish, wilderness, city limits, dry fly, wet fly, euronymph, indy, wading, kayaking, rafting, small stream, river, headwaters, lake, pocket water, runs, pools, grassy banks, limestone, free stone, attractor flies, imitative flies, junk flies, nightfishing, long rods, short rods, fiberlass rods, bamboo rods, graphite rods, slow rods, fast rods, medium action rods, cheap rods, expensive rods, and 100s of other variables.

Just fish the way you want, where you want and how you want. Just stay away from purple paint.😊

I was joking about trying one out, but of course I would put a spinning reel on it, Silverfox.

Here is my take on fishing. Fish however you would like and as long as you are following all laws/rules and being a good steward to the environment, enjoy it without criticism and fear of what others might think or so.

If that is mono-rig/Euro game, go for it, if it is casting Rapala's to trout, bass, or the likes, go for it, if it is casting dries all day long even if nymphing is what is catching the fish, then go for it. Who cares....I don't.

I have a noodle rod that was given to me at one time for shad fishing. It was made from a fly rod blank. I may have to give the aforementioned technique a try with this rod and a small spinning reel, as the reel seat is for spinning. With respect to shad fishing, I couldn’t cast a shad dart with that thing worth a darn.

As for Tigereye’s comment, what cracks me up is that some anglers seemingly have to have a special rod for each of those techniques and habitat types. If you read the ads, it seems that it has gotten that way or is headed that way with spinning equipment as well.

Last edited:
I used to get British and German fly fishing magazines and when the Eastern Europeans started crushing the world fly fishing tournaments after the fall of the Iron Curtain I got interested in "Czech nymphing" which my Polish friends were quick to point out originated in Poland. I couldn't really find any long fly rods so started with 10' to 12' crappie rods. They are way too heavy for tight lining but were extremely deadly using English bait fishing techniques using floats and nymphs (sort of like center pinning). In late 90's found a 10' 5 wt Lamiglas blank and built my first long nymphing rod. Really changed things up and was very effective. A good old school wet fly rod as well. Then about 2000 I got a first generation 10' 4 wt Greys Streamflex at the Feathered Hook. I though it was the lightest rod ever and fished it a lot for 20 years - was great for high stick dry fly fishing keeping line off the water in pocket water. Then I got a 10 1/2' Euronymphing rod and it really stepped up my nymphing game. I recently tried my 10' Streamflex against the 10 1/2' rod and old 10' rod felt really heavy. At each time I thought I had a great nymphing set up but each new generation was lighter and more fun to use.

Yes, I prefer to dry fly fish. However, hatches have been going downhill most places I fish and I spend more time nymphing.

As for Tigereye’s comment, what cracks me up is that some anglers seemingly have to have a special rod for each of those techniques and habitat types.
I find that amusing as well. I have only two fly rods, an 8.5' 5wt and a 7' 3wt. That takes care of my needs. To each their own though.

^Only 2!?!?! I'm struggling with 26, need more.

^Only 2!?!?! I'm struggling with 26, need more.
Okay, I will not say I come close to having 26 fly rods (I only have 9). However, I also have two bait-casters, and six or better spinning rods. What can I say? I spend time on the streams for trout and, when the lakes warm up, i switch over to my boat and the other gear.
I agree with others, different strokes for different folks and different gear as well. Different conditions may require different methods and/equipment.

26 rods isn't necessarily a good thing. I realistically use about a third of what I own and refuse to get rid of the rods I am not using because I paired them with a reel and I am keeping them for artistic value. Most of my rods are high end but I have a few clunkers (Cabela's rods) that I was hesitant to count in since it didn't sound as cool, but 26 rods quantifiably is what I have. These purchases are founded by an insatiable and relentless appetite for new gear, good marketing on the part of the fly fishing industry, and no real financial responsibilities!

Just like any type of fishing, new gear always catches more fishermen than fish!

I'm looking forward to the Slackline Nymphing video.

Back