Tight-Line vs Suspension Nymphing

docsab

docsab

I'm reading George Daniels' Dynamic Nymphing. He goes into great detail regarding tight -line techniques such as Czech and French Nymphing, as well as some involved leader and tippet set ups.

He contrasts this with suspension nymphing- using a floating indicator. The tight line techniques seem to require a much greater degree of concentration and effort, as well as covering much shorter areas with each cast. I would like to hear from some experienced nymphers what they think of tight line techniques vs suspension, and whether they think it is worth the extra effort.

Seems like the tight line techniques, if worth the extra effort, would be very well suited to the many smaller streams we have here in PA

I rarely use and indicator anymore. If you can watch Joe Humphreys' videos, there is a good example of tight line nymphing. He's pretty good at it.

High stick nymphing without an indy works great up close but if I want to nymph fish at longer distance I use an indy. Both techniques are useful. IMO you need to learn both.

I've read George's book (Dynamic Nymphing). I use both techniques. Before reading the book, I used only indicators.

When nymphing, I now use the sighter leads as descibed in George's book. If I'm fishing a certain section of a stream, I will use both methods before I leave the section and have had good success. Sometimes I do better with the high stick method and sometimes better with an indicator. I use the smallest indicator I can by with based on the weight of my rig and water and stream conditions.

I also use a 10', 4wt rod in many cases even on small streams. The long rod allows me to reach pockets and eddys. Yes with the long rod, one has to be aware of one's surrounding, trees bushes and so on. My back-up rod in an 8', 2wt.

I can't say I've "mastered" both techniques but I feel that catch rate has greatly improved by using both techniques.

Dale

WildTigerTrout wrote:
High stick nymphing without an indy works beat up close but if I want to nymph fish at longer distance I use an indy. Both techniques are useful. IMO you need to learn both.

I agree with WTT. I just high stick nymphed before I really got into CZ nymphing.
Now I use both systems (styles) depending on the conditions.

To me high stick nymphing is tight line nymphing.

I strongly prefer tight lining. I think I'm more successful at it. Generally, I think it's more successful because you can get deep better, and control drag better. You want it to literally roll on the bottom. The key seems to be to think that you're line is going way too slow for the current.

That said, yes, you need to learn to use indi's too, for nymphing at longer range.

And no need to change rigs! If I have an indi on, and get close enough to tight line it, just do it. There's no problem with having the indi lifted in the air!

Exactly. I "suspension" (oh that's what you guys call it) nymph shallower riffles and highstick the deeper faster runs where applicable. I catch a fair amount of trout nymphing shallower water from a distance, where being close enough to HS would spook the fish.

I actually don't understand why there has to be one or the other. If you're dead-drift nymphing, you want to have as little line on the water as possible at all times, given the situation.

I dislike suspenders fishingnand floating indicators. When nymphing at longer distances, I use a curly-Q sighter or watch the end of my fly line depending on the depth of the water.

Also, not sure I would call Czech nymphing tight line as the key to strike detection while keeping nymphs deep involves a small amount of bow in the line.

If you are nymph fishing at a distance with an indy you WILL have line on the water. You have to mend your line to get a good drift.

Kabutt wrote:

I actually don't understand why there has to be one or the other. If you're dead-drift nymphing, you want to have as little line on the water as possible at all times, given the situation.

For me, as a beginner, detecting the strike is difficult for me. I think I would put a bright sighter line maybe 5 feet or so above the fly to try to visually detect the strike while tight lining, while I would have a 2 foot tippet and maybe a 7 or 9 foot leader on which to put the indicator otherwise, so I would probably choose one way or the other.

If you don't use an indy, do you usually use a sighter?

docsab wrote:

If you don't use an indy, do you usually use a sighter?

I almost always use an indicator, regardless of the nymphing conditions. If there's slack line in/on the water between my indy and fly, then I'll watch the line before I watch the indy. I don't use any type of sighter per se, but any abrupt straightening of the leader in the direction of my fly indicates a strike. Of course, this goes hand in hand with good mending practices. I'm by no means an expert in technique, but what I do works for me.

Different techniques for different situations. Neither is "better" than the other or a replacement for the other. Tight line techniques are great for conflicting currents, fast water, shallow riffles, or pocket water. Indicators are better for covering water with more consistent currents and depth.

I suppose it depends on what you consider a small stream but I find tight line nymphing to be easiest and most productive on bigger water. While you aren't casting far, it is tough to get into proper position on truly small streams without spooking fish. You generally have to get pretty close, like within two rod lengths. I usually stick with scaled down indicator rigs or dry/dropper combos on small water.

Kev

I think that both definitely have a place. However each is suited for a different style of water.
Tight line nymphing you definitely detect more strikes....not saying you get more, just notice them better. On the down side you cannot tight line in every situation, especially higher water.
I often fish lazily and catch myself and tight line and hook into a fish within 2 casts.

Whatever works man.

The situation dictates what we do.

Does anyone Long Line nymphs w/o an indicator anymore, besides me.

I don't like being the only one at the archery club w/o sights and a release either.

I've always been glad when my indy's flew off. My vote then is for the high stick, tight line, downer and an upper, czech thing. All the same to me.

Steno, I would say I prefer to long line nymph without and indicator (well at least an add on indicator). I cast straight upstream in the same current seam, laying the line and leader straight out. I use the greased hi-vis leader but as an indicator. If it hesitates or jerks under - fish on. However, I hi stick if I have to fish across currents.

When I'm fishing larger water or even bass on the rivers. I cast upstream. Yes, sometimes straight upstream. I like to have as much line as I can in the same current speed. If I can get the last 4 or 5 feet before the leader that works. I then mend to get the right drift to allow my nymph to sink. As the flies drift past and downstream keep mending and feeding line as long as you want. The line should form a small J in the end of the fly line. I just watch for the "J" to change shape.
I think it's important to anticipate hot spots in the drift as well. If I don't have the optimal drift and I have drag. I will throw a mend in x-number of feet above it depending on speed and depth to get the fly where and how I want it. Another trick for even longer extended drifts. I've done this on Penns. Get the drift going and then walk with it as it travels through one of those long pools. You can cover alot of water when nymphing.
Extending the drift and covering more water. Sometimes you work pretty hard to get your flies down. I like to keep them there as long as I can in productive water. Many of the trout streams in this state are not large enough for this method to apply, however and I think I'm off topic.

Looks like its good to be familiar with both tactics and be able to change methods easily depending on the water. I guess our own abilities come into play- my eyesight is not great, so long drifts would prob be easier for me to fish with a suspender and save the tight line for short drifts.

Just seems to me that with a 9' rod and my heavy foot, I would spook any fish before I came within tight line range.

Docsab,

Your heavy foot will definitely spook fish. However, on streams that see less pressure (basically rule out he major, famous streams) you can walks pretty close to the fish;within he length of your rod.

Indeed, very simply narrated. there is a video on this page http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/czech-nymphing worthy to watch

Back