Tiger Trout wild or not

willdeb

willdeb

I have a question about if a tiger trout is wild if one of the parents is wild and the other one is stocked. I have a stream I fish where there are wild brown trout but stocked brook trout and very rarely wild brook trout.

Doesn't matter. Born in the wild=wild. EVERY 1st generation wild trout species, apart from natives, have had stocked parents.

Yeah, the parents don't matter towards the wild/stocked label. It's whether that particular fish was born in the wild or not.

Generally stocked fish struggle to reproduce successfully, but it does happen.

A good question would be whether your smallish wild brook trout population is sustained only because it's stocked with brook trout and a few of the stockers do succeed? Possibly. And if that's the case, and if they stopped the stocking brookies, then it's likely that the small wild brook trout population would initially crash. Perhaps to zero.

But they are still wild.

Tigers are sterile. They make no offspring. If no tigers are stocked, then all tigers are wild. But note that private clubs often do stock tigers so if you catch one, question whether that's the case.

Wild citizenship.....

Back