Thurmont, MD Wild Trout

theoriginalnickyp

theoriginalnickyp

We're getting a cabin there this spring and I was looking at some maps, I know Big Hunting creek and Owen Creek. Does anyone know if the small creeks that run through Cunningham Falls State Park hold fish? I was checking around MD DNR for something similar to the PFBC County Guide or Nat Repro list but could find anything. Does MD have anything like that? PM if info is sensitive.

There is a wealth of trout streams in the Catoctin area with just about any blue line worth exploring, although if you're used to fishing mountain streams in north central PA or the Poconos, you may care to downsize your expectations. Wild trout are widespread in the area but the streams aren't packed with fish. I consider a good afternoon on Catoctin Mountain to be several fish caught.

It's a mixed brown and brook trout fishery although in my experience it tends to hold more browns than is the case over the border in the PA section of South Mountain, where brookies dominate.

If you're unfamiliar with the area, be aware that many of the streams in that area are very small and get can get awfully skinny by late spring or summer. One good thing compared to the PA side of the border is there is less rhododendron.

Lots of great streams there, the two you mentioned get fished pretty hard but are the biggest. I would explore the streams on page 61 of the link below, there are some good ones and most are all public land if you have a specific stream you want to know more about pm me, I live there.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/MD_Brook_Trout_management_plan.pdf

Thanks guys, KW, that table is exactly what I was looking for. Looking forward to exploring with the 3wt and a bunch of bushy dries!

Back