Three new streamers I tied in my latest attempt to fool those wary trout.

T

threadpuller

Had a great day at the Flatbrook, here in NW NJ, yesterday, and thought I would like to try some new streamers, these should work.
Hook : #12 streamer hook

Tail : CDL (Light Pardo) Fibetts

Body : Silver and Gold Body Braid

Wing : CDL (Light pardo and dyed golden olive) Cape Feathers over white Cape feathers (gives it a real natural mottled look)

Throat : White Arctic Fox tail

The fly in the center of the pick is the same except for the wing. The wing is made from an American Variant rooster cape.

Attachments

• trio.jpg
    trio.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 11
Hey I like those streamers, they have a nice lateral line. Nice looking delicate looking streamers

BTW, the middle one looks like it was already lit, and then put out, LOL, and if you get the joke you will laugh too.

I like featherwings, even though I can't tie them to save my life.

These would look great with an eye on them, obviously jungle **** is first up but maybe you could use starling to provide a little something or a cut guneia hen?

Those are mighty nice lookin streamers. If I may suggest a minor point: Feather wing trout streamers look beautiful in the vice and actually have nice action in the water, but they do have a maddening tendency to foul their wings around the hook bend. The dense, hair underwing you have tied in will help minimize this. And while these flies will likely have great action in the water, I'd predict they will get a lot of short strikes and missed fish. Nevertheless, they do look good and by all means fish 'em (and hopefully prove me wrong regarding their hooking capability).
Nice job.

Thanks guys for all of the comments. I always give thought to fouling, as I fish alot of larger saltwater flies, These are pretty stiff and seem not to have the fowling problem. I had tied a few even longer for my last trip and I did notice that the trout swarmed them, but, did hit short, so I scaled them down a bit in this case, I will make some smaller ones and see which works best. I am after the bigger trout with these. Bigger bait bigger fish , right? At least that is what they say.

I think what Fishidiot is saying, is that trout are notorious for short striking flies, especially when the body of the fly extends so far back behind the hook point.

The only solution I've found, is using longer streamer hooks. Orvis had a close-out on 7x long streamer hooks. I bought the whole lot, and use them for tying my streamers. The hook point extends back almost to the tail. I seem to get a lot more hook-ups fishing for trout using them.

Good point Afish... I do need to get longer hooks. I'll get some next week.

Back