Three Days in Northeast Pa

salmo

salmo

I had a few days to myself beginning on July 28. I headed to northern Berk’s County to prospect on a Class A known to hold brookies. As I was suiting up an older guy pulled up an suggested that I fish a tributary to the stream that I intended to fish. He directed me to a location. I hiked in over hill an dale and finally crossed the trib. I was really small and brushy. I decided to hike downstream to see if I could find some bigger water. I was fishing a dry-dropper. In the first big pool a big brookie hit the dry. A better fisherman would have landed the fish, but I did not. I continued to fish up, picking up several dinks. So back to plan A. I fished up the Class A and landed a surprisingly large brown in the first good hole. I then landed 5-6 more smaller browns. However, the creek did not yield any brook trout before I called it a day.

Day 2 took me to a fairly well known stream in the Poconos. When I arrived there was a pickup with fishing gear in it. I decided to hike in and hike up. About a half mile up I ran into a guy with a fly rod. He was the man who owned the pickup. He told m the he didn’t fish the lower section. I hopped right in and started fishing - again dr-dropper. The air temperature was 72 and the water temperature 60. The stream ran well after recent thunderstorms. The fish were active and I did well for me with multiple fish including one of about 13 inches on a parachute BWO. All browns. I then hiked up the falls and picked up a few small brook trout. It was a perfect day.

Day 3 had me meeting a friend on the Tully. We got there just as the trico hatch was ending. I moved into a riffle fishing nymphs. I fished a sexy Walts and perdigon. I had a fish run me downstream peeling off line and broke me off. With new flies and a stronger tippet I landed a 14-15 inch rainbow. The fish fought well, but when I landed it, the rainbow was pretty beat up.

Compared to the fish of the previous days it was sad. I decided to call it a day and drive the 2 hours back to South Jersey early.

A great three days for me. I’m improving my nymphing technique and most of the fish were on flies that I tied myself.

Sounds like you did well for this time of the year!

Tully has reached 70 degrees or above every day since last week. Did you take a temp?

In the riff I was fishing in the morning it was 64.

Back