threads

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok heres my problem. i am using ultra thread to tie a fly and the strand keeps seperating are there any tips or tricks to keeping it under control besides using another brand....

Wax helps a bit, but UTC threads are a pain....

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but Danville Flymaster 6/0 is da bomb. Griffiths 14/0 is similar, but thinner. Both allow you to spin the bobbin to get it to lie flat. Uni thread is bonded also, but doesn't lay flat - it keeps it's rounded shape, for the most part.

actually i seem to tie better flies with uni i just hate ultry threads they akways stand out mekes me want to pull my hair out...

Spin the bobbin. One way opens it up, one way tightens it up. You'll also find you can make the thread jump back, or forward, to assist in the initial binding of a new material.

I wish Gudebrod was still making thread for fly tying. IMO they made the best thread on the market. Uni-Thread seems to work well though.

gfen wrote:
Spin the bobbin. One way opens it up, one way tightens it up. You'll also find you can make the thread jump back, or forward, to assist in the initial binding of a new material.

Did you discover that by yourself, or did George clue you in? ;-)

This doesn't help with flipmeister's problem. UTC threads are like a thin, single strand floss. It has a tendency for fibers to break, and they then aren't bound down. Spinning it doesn't really help control this. It's just the way it's constructed - it's not bonded like Uni thread is (think rope construction for Uni).

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Did you discover that by yourself, or did George clue you in? ;-)

This doesn't help with flipmeister's problem. UTC threads are like a thin, single strand floss. It has a tendency for fibers to break, and they then aren't bound down. Spinning it doesn't really help control this. It's just the way it's constructed - it's not bonded like Uni thread is (think rope construction for Uni).

Its a good tip, I just never think to use it.

UTC207020den.jpg

That UTC thread is the one I most struggle with flattening and needing to be spun. I guess I don't know which thread you mean.

unless you're making thread bodies where you want a flat smooth surface, go with uni... it has a lot more grip. Gudebrod does make thread... I use it for streamers, GX2. Can't break it.

Back