thread size

S

steve98

which is bigger 6/0 or 8/0

6/0

Think of it like hook sizes

Laszlo I get what your saying but if you can into bigger hooks a 3/0 is bigger than a 1/0 so that could be confusing to people.

--------------------thread sizes---------------------

3/0 6/0 8/0 10/0 12/0 14/0 16/0 17/0 20/0

------------------------------------------------------->

largest-------------------------------------------smallest

They go down to 20/0? Geez, I thought my 14/0 was small..., if I had to choose one itd be 8/0 for most flies.

nfrechet wrote:
--------------------thread sizes---------------------

3/0 6/0 8/0 10/0 12/0 14/0 16/0 17/0 20/0

------------------------------------------------------->

largest-------------------------------------------smallest

Not necessarily. Don't be fooled by advertising.

The "higher aught equals smaller size" is true only within the threads of one brand.
The aught sizes vary tremendously between companies. One company's 14/0 may be the same diameter as another company's 8/0.

Denier is a better guide (smaller number equals thinner thread) but the "thousands of an inch" measurement is the best at determining which thread is the thinnest between brands.
Confusing, right?

Tony makes several good points. The aught system is all over the map depending on manufacturer.

You could get a micrometer and mike everything out to four decimal places and label it accordingly.

Or, you could use your fingers. Really. They are a pretty amazing measuring instrument in their own right. I mean, if your fingers can tell the difference between 3X and 4X tippet (a difference of something in the range of .0005 to .0015 depending on brands)without looking at the spool labels, and I'll bet they can; then they ought to be able to do the same with tying thread.

LeTortAngler2 wrote:
They go down to 20/0? Geez, I thought my 14/0 was small..., if I had to choose one itd be 8/0 for most flies.

Yes.. I have some of the Uni_caenis 20/0...it is okay, but for small stuff Gudebrod 10/0 is still the absolute best...if you can find it

the chart says nothing about different brands

it only indicates the higher number "3/0" is a larger thread than "20/0" regardless of brands

the chart also does not compare brand to brand

there are other charts on the internet that already do that. just GOOGLE them

Back