Thread Question

F

fisherboy3

I have been using alot of the DRC dubbing for my dries the last year or so. The dubbing when wrapped onto the hook just doesnt seem to look right to me. It goes on the thread fine. The dubbing is a spectrumized rabbit dubbing and I use Uni waxed threads. Should i not be using waxed thread? To make it stay on the thread better?
Kev

Can you show a pic? Are you putting it too heavy? PM sent.

GenCon

Without seeing the dubbing or the end result I don't think anyone will be able to nail down the exact problem, but here are some things to consider:

- NOT ENOUGH wax on the thread.
- Using too much dubbing.
- Dubbing is too coarse for the size fly you are tying.
-The opposite of the above three things.

Also, as a tying thread, I dislike 6/0 or bigger UNI-thread. I just don't like how it ties and applying dubbing to the thread is one aspect of it that I find sub par. Try a different thread or go down to 8/0 UNI.

Forget about dubbing wax. There are very few instances where it should be used. Often times it is misused. In all reality it's not the dubbing or the wax etc etc, its the technique.

The whole premise with dubbing is to change the color of the thread. You should be dubbing whisps on to the thread. And when you pinch your fingers and spin it on the thread don't go directly perpendicular to the thread, spin perpendicular with a little bit of pressure up.

If you want a spiky affect on your dry fly use a split thread technique. Uni thread is tough to achieve that with as it is a bonded/corded thread.

Well due to only having my phone as a camera right now pics arent possible. I wouldnt use dubbing wax on dry flies anyways. When putting it on i do the usual, twist one direction, moisten fingers ect. Just when wrapping around the hook it doesnt always look perfectly tapered. It has some small gaps, looking segmented, which would be good but it just doesnt look right. It is the dubbing, because i do not have this problem with other dubbings, such as superfine.

If you're not getting the desired taper you have basically two options. The first is build the taper into the noodle you dub on the thread. Or two, tub a non tapered but very thin noodle and use wrap placement to build the desired taper.

DRC is really nice stuff. I know a lot of people use it. More often than not it's the technique's fault and not the material's. Keep trying

Ill give it a shot. Thanks for the tips

use the split thread technique

no more wax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0R5BMlKZ7I

dubbing techniques

http://thelimpcobra.com/2013/01/08/fly-tying-2/

Thanks nfrechet, very helpful

Great dubbing website, nfrechet! Coulda saved me a lot of frustration in the past.

FWIW, nowadays I only use wax for touch dubbing. I use dubbing twisters A LOT! You can spin the noodle thin, thick, spikey- however you want the body. An easy mistake, as mentioned, is using too much dubbing for the noodle. Use the techniques in the website cited above and you can't go wrong.

Tonight I look st the dubbing i put on the thread, and noticed that with smaller flies, this dubbing only gives me a problem. It is lots of guard hares and when spun onto the thread for say a size 18, it looks very course, and is hard to get a nice tapered noodle. I had been told by other guys about this problem as well. Any thoughts?

Maybe cut up the dubbing you need for the smaller flies. Just grab a bunch and cut it in half, or cut it into thirds.

You can re-sort it by hand, or put it in a small plastic baggie, poke holes in the bag, and then use a can of compressed air to mix it. Just put the straw inside and close the bag around it and press it for a few seconds.

If you still don't like the guard hairs just cut them.

As for the taper, you're better off making it with the dubbing, but you can always build a body beneath it with yarn or swiss straw or whatever else works.

don't use hares ear for dry's it absorbs water, best for dry's anymore is a synthetic dubbing

+1 ^

You mentioned in your OP that the dubbing is "spectrumized rabbit dubbing." This would not be my first choice for tying dry flies. Dubbing such as you describe is best for nymphs and is usually coarser and has guard hairs in it to give it a spiky appearance.

Find some dubbing made for dry flies. It is usually synthetic dubbing that is finer and easily dubs into a thin noodle on the thread.

HTH.

I mean the DRC makes this dubbing to match the exact color of the bugs om the delaware, I would think that it would be good for dry flies? Im going to try cutting it up before dubbing it on.

This dubbing is absolutely more about color than performance. That said, also be considerate of the color of the thread you're using with it.

It's interesting stuff, but just a bonus after size and profile.

Im using a dark olive uni thread and pale olive dubbing.

It'll show a little darker when it gets wet. Wet them once you're done and you'll see.

I don't think that combo is too bad, just gotta be careful using darker threads in particular.

Back