Thread question from new guy

B

Brianp

I’m getting into and starting to tie my own flies. Mostly the simple stuff and some basic nymphs for now but I can already see that the addiction is taking over. LOL I’m taking a class run by our local trout unlimited group and it’s outstanding. My question I have is what type of thead would you consider standard for tying these types of flies. I have heard all kinds of answers and I’m trying to figure out what would be the best to use. Some say size 3, some say 6 and others say 8. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! Brian

Brianp wrote:
I’m getting into and starting to tie my own flies. Mostly the simple stuff and some basic nymphs for now but I can already see that the addiction is taking over. LOL I’m taking a class run by our local trout unlimited group and it’s outstanding. My question I have is what type of thead would you consider standard for tying these types of flies. I have heard all kinds of answers and I’m trying to figure out what would be the best to use. Some say size 3, some say 6 and others say 8. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! Brian

Welcome to the world of fly tying. It's hoot to start tyin' and tryin' on the water. You'll see it adds to your fishing enjoyment as well as your success, for most anyway. You can begin to tie your own flies to meet different fishing conditions.

Since it's a TU class, I'm assuming you are learning to tie trout flies. The three sizes of thread you mentioned all have uses >

3/0 > the heaviest of the three and mainly used for trout streamers as well as larger flies such as bass flies.

6/0 > the tweener typically used for larger sized trout flies

8/0 > used for average sized trout flies maybe size 12 - 18.

The lighter thread causes less bulk on the hook and may tie better or neater flies in smaller sizes, but beginners to tying often break lighter threads because they do not yet have a feel as to the proper amount of pressure one should apply when tying. (Or the beginner has a cheap bobbin with sharp edges that cut the thread :roll:)

Thread is pretty cheap, I would have a spool of each size with you for the class and ask the instructor what thread size would be best for the flies they are teaching.

Good luck and good tying!

Wait until he hits the flat/round, waxed/un-waxed, monochord decisions. :)

Welcome to fly tying Brian.

I recommend you start with 6/0 thread.

Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate all information! I’m looking forward to honing my skills.

My only advice is stay away from superfly thread. I can’t stand it. Other than that you will start to learn what to use. I use light like 6/0 and 8/0 for my trout flies. Heavier thread will be for your bigger flies like Muskie and pike flies.

6/0 would be a good starting point

as you progress you can go try smaller threads. 8/0, 10/0 and smaller

Another vote for 6/0 and 8/0 uni. I never use 3/0 even for 2oz bucktails. Just to bulky and it does not lay very flat.

I'm going to go against the flow and recommend UTC 70 denier thread (roughly equivalent to 6/0). By far my preferred thread for typical trout sized flies.

UTC was not one of the choices. Now this is going to become a long list and Brian is going to end up with racks of threads just like the rest of us.

I truly appreciate all the information folks. You all have a wealth of knowledge and I look forward to growing my new passion. I can already see I’m totally addicted. LOL!!! Which is a good thing! Thank you again!

Another vote for starting with 6/0. It's strong enough to resist at least some of the breaks as you get a feel for thread tension and you can tie pretty small flies with it by paying attention to the placement and minimizing the number of your wraps, a skill that will make you a better tier in the long run regardless of what size thread you are using.

I use a lot of 3/0 monocord, but I won't use 3/0 Uni. I don't like it even a little bit...

I'm going to go against the flow and recommend UTC 70 denier thread (roughly equivalent to 6/0). By far my preferred thread for typical trout sized flies.

UTC 70 is my go to for flies up to #14. You're never going to break that stuff. Great for applying a lot of pressure if you tie with deer hair. I used to have a lot of trouble with it when tying finer dry fly patterns but like anything else I got used to using less wraps and I'm ok with it now. Sometimes I will still go with the 8/0 for dries, particularly on shorter hooks where the eye quickly becomes crowded.

i recommend 6/0.

some of the greats say you can tye EVERYTHING with tan 6/0.

it is fun to have black,white,red and tan.

i would highly suggest worrying more about obtaining a good bobbin holder than your thread brand.

something with a ceramic tube will save you a lot of headaches,for example.

also,raid everyone you know's sewing box and borrow all their vintage silk thread :)

*edit my wife ties almost everything with 8/0 brown thread.

shakey wrote:
something with a ceramic tube will save you a lot of headaches,for example.

+100,000,000,000,000

I used to tie with 6/0 and 8/0 uni thread all the time. However, lately I have also leaned toward UTC 70 for much of my tying. I really like how you can cord it up or flatten it out for different applications. I also tie using the split thread technique which UTC thread works very well. I like it much better than tying a conventional dubbing loop - less bulk. I love the flexibility that UTC affords. Uni is great thread but I have found most of mine sitting around collecting dust lately.

Thread is so inexpensive there us no reason to not try a few types. 6/0 flat nylon lays flat and is nice for split thread techiques whereas 8/0 UNI which is bonded polyester seems a bit stronger, grips dubbing better and overall does not deteriorate as fast as nylon. I use both but prefer Uni except as noted. I find UTC 70 and Danville 6/0 to be nearly interchangeable in the nylon realm. I might add I think nylon takes an adhesive better if you like to finish that way.

Back