Thread problem?

jreichel

jreichel

When I am tying with 0/8 thread it keeps breaking as I'm wrapping. I'm not sure if it's to much pressure ( I don't think I can lessen the pressure and keep materials in place ) or the bobbin cutting it or just old thread ( I inherited my thread and it is probably ten years old ). It's all Uni-thread brand. Is there a better i.e. stronger brand?

I'm currently using 0/3 cause its the only other size that I inherited and it's OK but smaller flies can get a bit bulky if I'm not carefully!
Are there other sizes I should be getting? Is there a fly size to thread size rule of thumb or formula?

I'm fairly new to tying so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Check the bobbin tip for abrasions...most common problem...could be old thread too...have to buy another spool to be sure...monocord is stronger if you are using regular thread...

Is the bobbin holding the thread spool too tightly? The other suggestions are more likely culprits, but if the spool is tightly held and the thread won't come off without a strong tug, you may be putting too much pressure on the thread without realizing it. If you think this is the case and you are using the bobbins with two prongs (like a stethescope), you can probably lessen the tension by stretching the prongs a bit-- emphasis on "a bit." You don't want to over-stretch it because then you won't have enough tension. You can't go back!

They make ceramic bobbins to correct the "sharp edges" problem. That said, I'm still on my first old bobbin. It's probably similar to the one you have because the same used to happen to me all the time. I found that buying better quality tying thread, as well as keeping a slightly longer piece of working thread helped.

As far as companies making stronger thread, there are a million brands: kevlar, gudebrod G2, roman moser power slik, and on and on. The moser stuff is the strongest, but is pricy ($4 for 30 meters), but you can't break 12/0 with your hands before it cuts into them.

Product search on websites and you'll be surprized what you find.

JackM wrote:
If you think this is the case and you are using the bobbins with two prongs (like a stethescope), you can probably lessen the tension by stretching the prongs a bit-- emphasis on "a bit." You don't want to over-stretch it because then you won't have enough tension. You can't go back!

Sure you can! Just pass the the ends of the prongs one behind the other and then release them. The further you pull them past the point where they pass by each other, the closer they'll sit when the arms are relaxed. You can make this adjustment many, many times in both directions as long as you don't stretch the arms so far that you break the solder joint with the thread tube.

Using this technique, along with aligning the "feet" on the end of the prongs (for the shaped ones - not the round ones) so they sit flush with the thread spool will give much smoother performance. Just use a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the very end of the arm where it goes into the arm-end to make it sit flat on the spool.

Another neat tip to take slight grooves out of bobbin tube ends, or to just make them smoother is to load up some kevlar thread, grasp the spool so it cant turn, grab the loose thread out of the tube end and crank it around so the thread polishes the tube end (think of the motion used for an old fashioned coffee grinder, and you get the picture). The kevlar is so tough that it actually wears the tube smoother!

Thanks for all your help! I dug around and found another bobbin and am having better luck. The other one must have a small bur on it or something. I may try to debur it or just use it for the 3/0 thread seems to work fine for that.

Now if I could just get faster at this I mite actually have a supply of my own flies to use next spring! :)

Hope this as thread size goes.

Size 8/0
Ties neater drys and nymphs because it doesn't build up. 100% poly thread grabs and holds materials. In tan, brown, white, red, gray, black, yellow, light olive, dark brown, olive, maroon pale yellow, orange. 100 yards per spool.
Hook sizes: 8-16.

Size 12/0
An indispensable thread for tying tiny flies, it's nearly half the diameter of conventional 8/0 thread. 100% poly thread. In tan, brown, white, red, gray, black, yellow, light olive, dark brown, olive, maroon, pale yellow. 100 yards per spool.
Hook sizes 14 smaller.

Size 6/0
Ideal for wets, drys, nymphs, and small streamers, this is the basic thread for all but the smallest trout patterns and saltwater flies. Made from 100% poly, 6/0 thread grabs and holds materials in place. In tan, brown, white, red, gray, black, yellow, light olive, olive, maroon, pale yellow, light pink, fluorescent orange. 100 yards per spool.
Hook sizes 14 and larger.

12/0 and 6/0 are the most common thread sizes.

Back