Thread for Fly Tying

G

gentleshepherd

I have always used fly tying thread purchased from a ship or catalog. Last night we were at an auction and a box of thread came up for sale, it had about 300 different spools with a large variety of colors.

My thought was this, if I waxed the thread could I use it for tying some wets and nymphs, possibly streamers.

I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a whim either.

But when it cam to the bidding I got it for 50 cents, the box weight about 50 lbs. I have not ever seen as many colors!. Most of the spools are still new and unused.

Has anyone used regular sewing thread to tie their flies?

I am open for suggestions or thoughts.

If not, I can probably sell them at a flea market that I am going to in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

My short answer would be yes you can depending on what flies you are tying and on what size hook. Many midge patterns (read Midge Magic) are tied from sewing thread. You will have to compare it to your tying thread and go from there. Yes tying thread is waxed, and has a stronger breaking strength etc. But for 50 cents, I'd use all I can that sound like a lifetime supply of colors and thread to me. I do and have used it myself with no noticable negative effects.

i tye quite a bit of my flies with vintage silk sewing thread.i also use vintage silk buttonhole twist.

a great fly is red copper wire on a brassie hook with a head of cheap white cotton sewing thread.

the only real problem I've found with most sewing thread is that it doesn't fit my bobbin! lol Thought about using some before, but never have.

I used a bobbin spooler that my wife had to wind bobbins for her sewing machine. It's really fast to get a sewing machine bobbin full of thread. Tried it yestereday worked like a charm to fill a bobbin.

I looked on EBAY for extra bobbins. I saw a site that had 100 for about 14 bucks. That's a lot of spools, I could actually fill one of each with a different color! Just might work out for me.

Someone told me yesterday that I should consider using chapstick as my wax as it is a lot smoother than some other waxes. I wouldn't want my fish to get chapped lips!

Thanks for the insight so far!

Back