Thoughts on my new A3 7' 3wt

Wildfish

Wildfish

[I can't figure out how to embed images, so they're all attached at the bottom]

After an interesting discussion about weighted brookie flies (where I only got a few fly suggestions but a lot of opinions on 3wt rods) I thought I'd share my experience using a 3wt for a couple days (mostly for JayL). For anyone interested in doing the 3wt thing, or interested in the A3, or just bored, here's a long post about fishing.

First, the gear: Scott A3 7' wt with an Orvis BBSII and superfine wonderline. The balance is perfect, and for anyone in the same boat it was definitely worth spending more on the BBS over the regular battenkill to keep the weight down. Now if I could just get that damn clicker out of the reel...

The rod is rated "med-fast," and that is definitely accurate. It is not at all a fast rod, though it has a ton of backbone, which really surprised me when I hooked into bigger fish.

Spent most of the day on streams like this:

Looking for fish like this:

Landed a bunch (took a picture of the first fish on the new rod):

I will say that throwing weighted nymphs and woolly worms was not as pleasant as throwing dries. My 5wt is indeed a better tool for nymphing. This is not to say its impossible or even difficult to throw weighted nymphs with the 3. I tied on a sz 10 bugger for a while. But pinpoint accuracy decreased esp at any real distance. That being said, fly presentation was still better with the smaller line, though only marginally so. Landing fish was another story. I could feel even the tiniest strike on a woolly worm, and land small fish very delicately. Nevertheless, I did more dry fishing than I might have otherwise--but is that a bad thing?

The next day I spent the morning on bigger water mostly throwing streamers with my 5wt. However, buy 8am the fish were exclusively sipping these:

After landing a few on the 5wt I realized I had the perfect midge rod with me, and used the 3wt for the rest of the day. It was the ideal tool for this job. I could land tandem midges on a dime and with 6x and 7x tippet make super delicate presentations. I landed plenty of wild browns up to 14" and never felt the need for a bigger rod. Tippet was well protected, fish came in quickly, and the scott has plenty of backbone, so I wasn't worried about that 20 incher coming out to play (he didn't).

All in all, I'd say I'm 3wt a convert. This will definitely be my go-to dry rod, and my all around small stream setup. In the immortal words of Ferris Bueller, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Attachments

• stream web.jpg
    stream web.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 10
  • brook swimming web.jpg
    brook swimming web.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 5
  • first brookie web.jpg
    first brookie web.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 4
  • midge web.jpg
    midge web.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 5
I have several 3 weight rods and one 2 weight. At times IMO you can get a trout in quicker because the rods do protect lighter tippets. You can put more pressure on them without having to worry as much about breaking your tippet. I have one "Scott" rod but it is a 5 weight. I'm sure your A3 is a nice rod. I think as time goes on you will find yourself fishing more with your A3. I fish nearly all summer with my older "Sage" DS2 8' 6" 3 weight and do not feel handicapped at all. Welcome to the world of UL flyfishing. Tight Lines.

I'll definitely be fishing it more. In fact, I think my next purchase will be a 9' 6wt (in the very distant future). I figure most of my dries will be with the 3, and most subsurface stuff/streamers with the 6. Only problem with the 3wt is that it's short. A great stick for navigating brush around brookies streams and making short casts to fish 10' from me, but it wouldn't get the job done on bigger trout water.

Yea, now you see why I have several 3 weight rods. I use the Sage DS2 8'6" for bigger water and use a discontinued model G.Loomis GL3 6'6" along with a Sage FLi 7' for tight spots. You can never have to many flyrods can you? LOL!

I do most of my wild trout fishing with my 6ft & 6 1/2ft 2wt. The coolest thing even the little par's are a gas on them. I just tend to like fishing with lighter weight rods. I cant see fishing a 10 or 20 ft wide stream with a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt.

It's not as big of deal fighting bigger fish on them as people think.
I've landed 2 brookies around 14 in. on my 6ft 2wt.
DSC00574.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

And even landed a 20 inch large mouth while blue gill fishing with my 6 1/2 ft 2. That was a trip.

I knew your were going to like it. As you noticed it can be the perfect tool for jobs.

I think the 3 largest trout I caught this year were all on a 1wt rod. Oddly enough, all were brook trout (at least two of which were certainly stocked, although one was a LL holdover). I'm steadfast in #3 being 100% awesomely wild, though, coz they don't stock where I plucked him from.. enough of that, though.

Oddly enough, not as much fun as the loads of 6-8" fish on the same rod.

I had no problem bringing any of them in, because my tippet isn't much lighter than what I'd have used on my 4wt rod, usually 5x. If there's a dropper, its probably 6x, but again, that's no different than the 4wt rod I normally used.

Its more pleasing, and I feel that I can do more with the rod in my hand, up til now my rods have been getting progressively lighter, but I made the act of adding a 9' 3wt to the collection for next spring as my "all around" rod.

Light and ultralight is more fun, and not inherently more irresponsible as long as you don't let it be.

Oh, and if someone has a TXL-000 they want to sell cheap, let me know...I mean, there's always room for lighter...

Just for fun I picked up a spare spool and some silver label 4w line. The rod doesn't benefit from overlining, but I figure it might be fun for weighted flies. Plus the orvis store takes the $25 off coupons as fast as I can print them.

Back