Thoughts on hook size

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I have a lot of hooks that are 1x and 2x shank length and I'm starting to think, why should I even use a hook that is made longer than it's actual size? Why not just use a bigger hook? Lets say you have a size 16 hook with a 2x length. Why not use a standard size 12 or 14 hook with a similar length and benefit from the extra gape in the hook? Isn't a wider hook gape more beneficial than using hooks with a longer shank? Could it be a marketing thing? Imagine if hooks were advertised as size 12 with 2x narrow gape (which might essentially be what a size 16 2x shank would be) Please excuse me if I'm off on my measurements but I hope you get the point. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to hear some of your input on this. Bottom line is, I think extra long shanks, equate to narrow hook gape, and ultimately more missed hookups on the water.

bigslackwater wrote:
Why not just use a bigger hook? Bottom line is, I think extra long shanks, equate to narrow hook gape, and ultimately more missed hookups on the water.

You have to match the size of the hook gap to the fish being targeted.

For typical sized stream trout, long slender flies are often a good choice but if the hook gap is too big, it won't get inside the mouth for an effective hook-up. You can go with a bigger gap for bass because their mouth sizes are so much bigger (assuming same body length). I do a lot of trout fishing with streamers that are over four inches long. Even with this size of fly, I don't want a hook bite/gap of much greater than about half an inch.

Makes sense for large streamers. My frustration is mostly with tying nymphs on hooks 12-18 where the gape in the hook is never over a half inch. With 2x long hooks I tend to tie a bulkier fly and end up with little clearance between the material and hook gap. My point is I'd be better off having all standard hooks and choosing an appropriate shank length based on that, rather than using hooks that are exaggerated in one direction or another. I guess, I'm looking to see if anyone has had similar difficulty!! Also, maybe someone could give a good example of when a 2x long hook is useful in the size range of 12-18.

Never really though of it.

I like 1X and 2X long hooks for bead heads.

the only other reason I can think of using the smaller hook would be a smaller gauge wire to easier hook sets.

Back