Thoughts on duck flank wings.

ian_brown

ian_brown

Lots of the early season dries call for wings from duck flank (e.g. Quill Gordon, Hendrickson, Red Quill).

Is there any reason to splurge for real wood duck? I've been using yellow dyed mallard flank, which I only have a little of. I have lots of natural, and it looks pretty good when I hit it with the highlighter.

I've noticed that the wings look best if I tie wastefully. I smooth all of the fibers forward, then pinch wrap them in. The wings look good, but I only get one fly per feather.

I use dyed mallard flank...I have several shades...I pick one feather about the right size...put one or two loose wraps over the stem and then pull the feather by the stem thru the wraps until the wing is the right length and secure at the wrap point. Not sure what you mean by wastefully but use a whole feather for each fly. Sometimes cutting the middle of the feather out to make a v-shape before attaching makes it look nice and easier to separate if you are planning on splitting you wings...

I do the same as Tom. I have natural shade, yellow, wood duck initation, and hille's bronze -- its a dun like shade.

I do have a friend who shoots wood ducks and usually gives me feathers, but I feel like I'm taking advantage of him and now tell him to sell them on ebay or to a fly shop.

I have used both, and really think the dyed flank feathers work just as well as real wood duck

i'm a little confused.are you guys saying you don't roll the wings?\\

i too use dyed mallard.

Back