This weekends ties

paparise

paparise

14-16 Frenchie (because of the frenchie thread)
22 Zebra (because it's my favorite midge, usually tie them at 18 w/ a bead, didn't have a bead for the 22 so I tied a thread head)
26 Olive CDC Comparadun (because it's olive season and they're usually small where I fish)

Feel free to critique.

Fox, I'm interested on your opinion of the comparadun since you tie and use them.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 9
I'll add that I fished some stockies yesterday and caught one on the frenchie and 4 on my size 18 zebra.

The zebra has out fished any nymph I've ever fished hands down.

Phil they look okay from what I can see but it is tough to see detail when I try to zoom in. Can you post or send me a close up?

It gets worse when you zoom in becaue the photo is a bit blurry. I'll tie some more and take a better photo another time.

paparise wrote:
The zebra has out fished any nymph I've ever fished hands down.

I always have a pile of them on me. My go to is a sz 16 PT with a sz 22ish zebra off the tag of the knot...6" or so.

I also like comparaduns, especially for flatter water. Not so much in the riffly stuff.

Your flies look good.

Nice job. The Frecnhies look good but they are originally tied with a coq de leon tail. Also, they look really big, maybe smaller sizes would be more effective. Anyway, cool ties.

Thanks, they're 14 and 16 so not too big. That's the biggest I go usually. No coq in my box so I just use the pheasant. It caught me a nice brown so the trouts don't seem to mind.

One suggestion I have is to shorten up the tails a little bit on the Frenchie and make sure it stay on top of the hook shank. Pull the fibers to a 90 degree angle before pulling them from the feather so they all line up then tie them in with two loose wraps and adjust the length. I then add two more wraps to secure the them and then add one more under the tail and pull tight so they splay out which makes for a nice looking tail.

All great looking flies and should be very productive.

I've been tying and using Frenchies for over a year. I'm cheap and don't use coq. Based on my experience, I personally don't think it matters what you use for the tail and how you tie it in. I've used several diffent types of feathers, pheasant tail and even antron and the patterns all caught fish and can't say one is better than the other.

Papa, they look good.

Back