This is what happens...

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

when I find a bunch of old, up-eye wet fly hooks at a yard sale (as well as 40 issues of Fly Tyer from 1999-2009), and have a bit of free time. A little piece I whipped up using whatever happened to be on the bench at the moment...what do you guys think?

Attachments

• boredbumblebee.jpg
    boredbumblebee.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 17
I like it.

It seems to me that many tiers get into the groove of looking at tying as essentially maintenance - "need a dozen more Hare's Ears" sort of mentality. Although this is fine (and frankly most of my own tying is maintenance)....the occasional foray into more artistic flies, I think, strengthens one's tying ability and broadens one's fly tying frame of mind.

And it makes for some nice decorations for the man-cave or tying bench. :)

Is that your nice way of saying "It looks cool, but probably wouldn't catch a fish"? ;-)

I do like it though. I would be curious to see if you manage any trout on it.

Guranteed you would catch a trout on it.

If you get that fly into a pool of native Brookies without them knowing you are there they will be fighting over it!

Makes me think I wish I could find a fly tiers/fisherman's yard/garage sale. Every yard sale I've been to has had nothing but junk in my eyes.

dc410 wrote:
If you get that fly into a pool of native Brookies without them knowing you are there they will be fighting over it!

one problem...it's a size 2 :)

and another that I designed around the GP tippets in the wing...now maybe I'll try and give married wings another go...

Attachments

• gpfly.jpg
    gpfly.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 6
looks good. I get the idea that we can grow stagnant. I try to get out of the box pretty often, it seems to keep the fun in it for me.

Sniper do you know what kind of hooks those are?

turkey wrote:
Sniper do you know what kind of hooks those are?

no, they were in a mixed box of streamer and wet fly hooks, and for $1.50 I took the chance, they are similar proportionately to a Mustad 3366, but with an upturned eye?

looks like a mustad 36890 salmon style hook..

Fishidiot hit the nail on the head whether "toying around" with new materials or style of flies you may not intend to fish your tying skills and creativity are sure to improve. I learned a lot tying stuff I'll never fish (and wasted a lot of money on materials I need to list in the swap forum.)

But that's besides the point very nice tie and keep em coming I love the look of golden pheasant!!!

NIce ties Sniper! I really like the way you aligned the markings on the wing with features on the tail and body. That kind of attention to detail is important in any fly, but much easier to spot here.

i could definitely see steel or atlantic salmon going for those!!

reminds me of the "Golden Girl" salmon fly..

FrequentTyer wrote:
NIce ties Sniper! I really like the way you aligned the markings on the wing with features on the tail and body. That kind of attention to detail is important in any fly, but much easier to spot here.

Well, that means a lot coming from the second best amateur fly tyer in the state ;-)

littlelehigh wrote:But that's besides the point very nice tie and keep em coming I love the look of golden pheasant!!!

Well, if you insist...this one is tied on a Dai Riki 899 salmon/steelhead hook I had left over from last year's steelhead swap. Used a compound rib of black floss edged with silver oval tinsel in the front of the body.

Attachments

• nocheinmal.jpg
    nocheinmal.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 4
Looking real good sniper, so many things about tying those flies is such an art. I know all tying is an art but those take it to the next level(or two). I've done one and it looks good but only because it was tied with a friend of mine that knows what's what with them. Keep up the good tying. Jack

Back