This hen again?

Nymph-wristed

Nymph-wristed

I posted about a tagged rainbow in the Monacacy TT section this winter, and I caught the darn thing again yesterday, I think, unless there's been an invasion. In the heat of the quick release, I never thought to confirm the tag number, which I got the first time, but it looked like the same bow. She had moved a good quarter mile or more upstream from the winter haunt and was feeding in the riffles with the locals. With the wet 2018, there are stocked holdover fish everywhere in SEPA this year, some a couple waterfalls from where they were placed. Unlike this winter, though, where this fish made the highlight reel, I did find some very nice wild browns too. I guess the section lives up to its PFBC designation once in a while ;-)

20190429_122239.jpg

20190429_114608.jpg

20190429_114643.jpg

I guess a quarter mile is a pretty big jaunt for a stocking. They typically sit in one spot until they get caught or eaten by a heron

krayfish2 wrote:
I guess a quarter mile is a pretty big jaunt for a stocking. They typically sit in one spot until they get caught or eaten by a heron

I thought so, but I do know bows in general have a reputation for getting around. I estimated, but 400 or 500 yards seemed relatively far from where I first found the fish. She was in a prime spot this February, so maybe she got pushed out by a couple bigger browns that I know are in there?

Nice looking fish (brown and even the bow)

wildtrout2,
They are stocking rainbows over the wild trout population. According to studies and PFBC mentality, no big deal. They are there due to demad and will be utilized.

wildtrout2 wrote:
That stream has quality wild browns like that, and it gets stocked? What a shame!!

This section itself is not stocked and managed as Trophy Trout, the fish got washed down from above, it seems. Different sections of several creeks in this county/area get stocked by the Commish and local organizations, however. Martins, Bushkill, Monacacy, Saucon, Aquashicola, Little Lehigh, and so on... All have stocked fish in the wild trout sections now, more this year following the rains of 2018 than most years.

They stock places like Bald Eagle in State College, so it is not isolated to SEPA. Keeps the locals happy and access open, I guess?

Haven't fished Monocacy since my college days in the 70's. I remember hitting that harder than than the books. I could see the stream right outside my dorm..

My real memories were watching Wild pheasants go through their mating rituals right outside my dorm, not to mention some my own.

Back