Thinking about purchasing Orvis encounter 9'6" 6 wt for ww

drumat26

drumat26

I usually use an LL Bean 8' 6wt but it doesn't have a fighting but and its just not really what I'm looking for. Does anybody else have this setup that can recommend it? Really like the appeal of the longer rod and fighting butt in the encounter!

If your're serious about getting a warm water rod, get at least a 7wt IMO. I don't think the extra length will give you much of an advantage, but if you also use it as a heavy trout or steelhead rod, you might find that you like the extra 6-12" length for nymph fishing.

If you're just one of those guys who makes a fuss about catching a bunch of 5" smallmouth... ....get whatever.

I have this set up. It's my first fly rod I bought. I bought it because I read the 6wt is like the universal, all around weight that can do a little bit of everything ok. I've since added a 9' 5wt that I use for most of my fishing and a 8' 4wt that I use on small streams. I use the 6wt encounter for all my warm water fishing now and will be trying it out on the Erie tribs here soon.

As for setup itself, it probably wasn't the best to learn on. It's decently fast action and added length got me in a lot of trees and wind knots but now I can really launch the line with it. It doesn't come with a hook keeper, which was super annoying to me, but I had a friend that builds rods put one on for me. I think it's a nice set up but I'm no pro. Add a hook keeper and put good line on and I think you'll be as happy as you would with any 6wt set up under $300. I know for a fact it can handle 17"-18" largemouth easily. I use it on the family pond when I'm bored from time to time and it's one after another there lol.

I have the 9'6" 6-wt. Recon. It's a big step up from the Encounter, probably worth the bucks, too. It's a streamer beast. Sink tips are no problem and modern, full-sink lines are a breeze.

Back