Thinking about carp

JG63

JG63

Never caught one on the fly - this seems like a good year to try. Anyone have advice in furled leaders for golden bones? I'm thinking a feathercraft streamer with swivel or a longer saltwater. I'll be fishing vintage Sage RP 790, Sage RPL 790-4, and/or TFO 890-4. Mostly floating lines but have intermediate density and sink tips too. Any advice will be helpful.

Nothing fancy is required. All you need is a delivery system that works for you. If you are sight fishing, then in most cases the water will not be very deep, so gear up accordingly. To demonstrate how unsophisticated this can be, as a kid I wanted to learn or practice how to handle big fish. I had a 5.5 ft light action spinning rod with a Mitchell 300 reel and 4 lb teat mono. I would sit on a dock on the Delaware River in Monroe County, lob out a handful of corn into the current and then peel off the mono by hand allowing a BB split spotted hook or weight-free hook with a single kernel of corn to follow the chum slick. It would not be long before I would have an 18-26 inch carp on the other end and the drag would be singing. It is a good way to learn how to fight big fish on any gear. I am not saying you should try corn, but I am saying that simplistic techniques will work. No need to be fancy about it and if you have the itch now, in a week or three try the back end of a muddy cove on a lake. The carp will be moving into those areas to get any little warmth advantage that they can. Even better if the prevailing breeze tends to blow into that cove from the main lake, as it will push what little warm surface water exists at that time into the cove. Also a good pattern for striped bass hybrid fishing.

Carpin' with the flyrod is a freakin' blast! I fish for most of them on small to medium size warmwater streams. I stalk along the banks looking for disturbances, mud clouds and/or lines of bubbles created by mudding carp. They root around in the silt when they are feeding. This is one of the most productive times to fish for them because they are actively feeding. Trying to catch them when they are just cruising around or chasing other carp around (I assume in the mating process) is usually unproductive for me. They are very spooky. I always stay out of the water and stealth is very important. They can detect vibrations off of the bank for some distance. Scout to find new fish - don't continue to fish over the same ones day after day. They are not dumb. The first one you hook up with on a fly rod will give you a serious adrenaline rush. It is addicting. Post up a picture of your first carp on the fly. Good luck.

JG63,

Sorry, I went off on a tangent about carp fishing in general and never really addressed your original question. I have used a furled leader for many years for trout and I really like them. However, I have never used a furled leader for my carp or warmwater leaders. I think a furled leader would certainly work fine on a carp leader. I tie my own carp leaders and they are pretty simple. The butt is 3' of Maxima Chamelion 40 lb test. The mid section is 3' of 20 lb. test fluorocarbon. The tippet is generally about 2-3' of 1X. I use a 9' 8 wt. outfit. I like to be able to apply some hard side pressure to them as needed to keep them out of the debris. Good luck!

JG, I've had decent success with carp and it's not complicated. You just need a floating line, stout leader, 6-8wt rod and a few flies. Good polarized glasses help too because it's pretty much a sight fishing game. The real trick is to find feeding carp and drop a fly in their strike zone without spooking them. My observation is that in spots where they are being bow hunted they are extremely spooky, so you might want to try to find places where this isn't happening. They haven't proven to be too picky about what pattern, small and buggy is all you need imo. Getting the right water and sun conditions so you can spot them and being in a good spot where they feed is 90% of the equation.

Great advice, i have forund that stream carp are easier to fool than pond Carp. As icyguides said they can be spooky to the point of uncatchable. Have fun and good luck.

soon very soon,
carp can be caught on 3-5 wt rods also

Attachments

• 5-28-2010 065 (400x300).jpg
    5-28-2010 065 (400x300).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 5-28-2010 063 (400x300).jpg
    5-28-2010 063 (400x300).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 5-28-2010 052 (400x300).jpg
    5-28-2010 052 (400x300).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 5-28-2010 049 (400x300).jpg
    5-28-2010 049 (400x300).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 5-28-2010 047 (400x300).jpg
    5-28-2010 047 (400x300).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 4
Now that's what we're looking for! Thanks for posting up the pics, Sandfly. You just cranked up my enthusiasm one more notch. Lots of fun!

I would not suggest targeting carp on a 3wt....

JG63.. i too have been wanting to learn carp on the fly.... i have been searching for someone to help... but no luck.. good luck to you on this!

Back