Thingamabobber Strike Indicators

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Was nymphing ystrday and using a thingamabobber. Fairly easy to set up BUT every time I would false cast/cast it would slide down my leader closer to my fly.

What did I do wrong?

I find that it slides on 6x, but 5x is usually good. Give it a good tug and it should hold tight for you.

Hi Stagger - if Zen's good advice doesn't solve your problem, there's a couple of things that might help.

1 - When you insert the loop of mono through the grommet on the thingy, give it a couple of twists before pushing the loop over the thingy and tightening it up.

2 - You can also push a round toothpick into the grommet (firmly) and break off both ends. This does make it a bit of a pain to take off, or move, but it won't slide on 'ya.

3 - You can solve this problem by using the leader I made for you weeks ago. It's sitting snugly in my gear bag, and has a tippet ring on the end. The thingy won't slide past the tippet ring, and you can just add whatever length of tippet you need, for whatever depth of water.

If work ever decides to stop working me to death, we gotta get together for your knot class. We'll make a another leader (actually - you'll make it) that should last you a long time.

H.A.

There shouldn't be much "false casting" when nymph, imo (which could very well be wrong), it just leads me to heaps of hell in the line.
Casting I can pull off but be careful, roll casting with a thingamabobber is the best bet starting out using one. You'll get a better feel later on. Also, most thingamabobbers now have the jam stop. Try using that, it may help. I hate them though. I know, mixed messages.

3 - You can solve this problem by using the leader I made for you weeks ago. It's sitting snugly in my gear bag, and has a tippet ring on the end.

H.A.

LMAO....whatta guy.

Volksnurse wrote:
LMAO....whatta guy.

Well, I haven't seen the Staggermeister in that long. I made it for him the day after he caught his first trout on the LL.

Maybe I should just mail it to him. :lol:

Well, I haven't seen the Staggermeister in that long. I made it for him the day after he caught his first trout on the LL.

Maybe I should just mail it to him. :lol:

Or....we could go fishing!? :-o

Sounds good to me!

I can only do Saturday afternoon/evening this weekend.

If you can do that, rally the troops. We gotta get all the fishing in we can, before El Zorro Rojo gets back with his voodoo dolls. ;-)

I may have to try and get my brother Pete down there on Saturday if you gentlemen get together.
I've told him about the Little Lehigh and the PAFF anglers I've met. It would be great to introduce him to the stream and some of the guys.
I'll have to check and see if he can come down

Dave

Unfortunately, I'm out for this weekend...except for taking my 7 yr old to some easy Pocono streams. That lasts maybe an hour then she's done.

Sad thing is if you did mail it to me I wouldn’t know what to do with it .. not taking ur knot class and all. You actually let me keep one of ur strike indicators but of course, I still have it but it is just another in a line of items I am unsure how to set up. Yes @ Volks .. whatta guy.

Not sure if I can head up this weekend (which in theory shouldn’t be a problem b/ its fathers day weekend and us dads should be able to do what we want). Was gone for 8 hrs on Sat (looking for a creek that I never found LoL) and not sure if I shot my wad with the better ½.

When do the trout go bye bye on the LL??
At least i know exactly where to go, park and fish on the LL

I am fairly comfortable fishing for the ‘stupid’ WW fish like rock bass, crappies, blue gill, etc .. they bite everything, its fun, and a good confidence builder. That said; still lost with trout and these mini-jams really help and are tons of fun. Also, considering that I started a thread that is 4 pages deep, and no-one has met up yet .. that says way to much abt my organization skillz so for now on I lean on the vets in that dept. We need one of you vets to put one together b4 the water gets to warm, if that is a summer problem up there ... is it?

Oh .. and thanks to all for the thingamabobber info .. will try it the next time I need to use one.

Wasn't false casting in the real sense .. just shooting some line to reach my target and that is when the indicator would slide down

Stagger - the leader I made you is gonna be easy to use.

The only knot needed is the clinch knot (the one you use to tie on a fly). Tie a piece of tippet on to the tippet ring with a clinch knot, and tie a fly on the other end with a clinch knot.

Consider it a leader with "training wheels". :-D

You just let me know when you can get up this way, and I'll do my best to meet you. BTW - the LL rarely gets too warm to fish, especially in the lower fly stretch. Lots of cold feeder springs.

There's another gadget you might want - a thermometer.

H.A.

Back