Thin UV Cure Glue Problem

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

I'm a fan of UV glues. I've been using them for years. However, I recently have had a problem with Solarez thin, hard resin. It's become almost gel-like. It's thickness is somewhere between thick ad thin formulas. I don't think it's much more than a year old. I try to be careful and recap before turning on the UV light. It's kept in my basement that's about 60 degrees year round.

One possible variable: I had a new window installed at the end of March about 30 feet from my tying bench. The window is a small basement type. Outside temps were in the lower 20s. So, it's possible the glue was exposed to sub-freezing temps.

Questions:
  1. Has anyone else had this problem?
  2. what can be done about reversing the thickening (thinner, heat, etc.)?

microwave for 10 second back to normal

there is no additive thinning agent that i know of

microwave for 10 second back to normal

there is no additive thinning agent that i know of
Yes, microwave will fix the problem but GO SLOW. I would only recommend doing 5 seconds at a time. 10 seconds straight in my microwave and a bottle of UV resin will be hot enough to melt the container it is in.

Never tried it but maybe you can thin with acetone I know it works when I get it on my fingers.

Solarez even puts it on the container or box to microwave it when it gets like that.

Thanks, all. I'll give it a try.

my solarez bonedry is a glass bottle so it shouldnt melt in 10 seconds

my solarez bonedry is a glass bottle so it shouldnt melt in 10 seconds
The resin still may become extremely hot. Like hot enough to easily burn you. It may also not heat evenly with some of the bottle still thick and some very runny and hot. I usually nuke it for 5 seconds, shake it well, then repeat if neccessary.

yup I never said it doesnt get hot

i said its in a glass bottle and meant the glass shouldnt melt

10 seconds always worked for ME

yup I never said it doesnt get hot

i said its in a glass bottle and meant the glass shouldnt melt

10 seconds always worked for ME
The OP was asking in regard to the thin version which is usually sold in a plastic container. The bone dry is the only one packaged in a glass bottle AFAIK.

I've also purchased solarez packed in metallic squeeze tubes which you wouldn't want to microwave at all unless you want to see some fireworks

epoxy resin will crystalize over time and heat will melt the crystals. 60*f not warm enough to store it

Back