Thin skin

kelso2340

kelso2340

Can anybody give me any recommendations on how to easily cut thin skin? I have tried scissors but it's difficult to size the width with just your eyes. So assuming you tying 10,12,14 what width is the best to cut the skin for caddis? Also is an exacto knife the best thing to use?

Use a razor blade, set yourself up with a piece of wood ( small 2x4) mark lines with a pen 1/8,1/4 on it . Put your thin skin on the width you want to cut, and use a ruler for a straight edge. Hope this helps.

I've heard of people using a paper cutter also. One of those ones they used to use in school.

I have found that I tend to prefer using scud back for most applications you'd use thin skin for, though. It comes in 1/4" and 1/8" sizes, lots of colors, and is much easier to work with than thinskin. I think it's also cheaper. Only downside is that it doesn't come with the printed patterns that thinskin does.

straightcuts_zpse4ab9757.jpg

these work really good too

800px-Fiskars-scissors.jpg

Try a rotary cutter..available at craft stores..looks kind of like a pizza cutter

I'm in the rotary cutter, steel rule, cutting board camp for thin hard to cut stuff. The rotary cutter does a nicer job than an Exacto knife or industrial razor blade, but it is more expensive. An Exacto knife tends to pull the material a little more in my experience.

Combo square, razor knife and cutting board.

Back