Thin Skin

P

pugdom

Does anybody else detest this stuff? I use it, appreciate the color variety, but still don't like it. Just feels to much like paper plastic (of which it is).

Any other materials bug you but you put up with it.

Pugdom

do you remove the paper backing before tying ???
I'm using it on the czech nymphs right now. also tie in with dull side up so brighter side will show at end. pull/stretch the thin skin and it should wrap around material.

Attachments

• 2-24-12 001.jpg
    2-24-12 001.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2-24-12 011.jpg
    2-24-12 011.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 4
I've got some thin skin and have seen nice flies tied with it like above. I don't like the way it looks when I use it though. I have a started using bodi stretch instead and like the way it looks.

Yeah, I take the paper off. I just don't like the feel of it. I have not tried giving it a stretch though.

i dont like it for scuds because i dont like the lack of streach and how it stays ridiged on the bend however i do like ti for cjs and stoneflys nymphs that i can keep the material rather flat the two most hated materials in my box are sculpin wool and natural hare dubbing that you get in packs. the wool always finds its way into my nose and stays there for an extended stay and the hare dub stinks at dubbing on in comparison to the stuff you get from chopping up mask also frosty fish fibers they suck along with microfibits

I like thin skin. I use it for my stoneflies and Czech nymphs. I've also used black for wingcase on a few other nymphs.

I agree that I don't like working with microfibbets and also the Antron dubbing I have. It's hard to just put a small amount of that Antron on the thread and also in the winter, my hands get very dry and that stuff sticks to my fingers like Velcro!

I use the clear Thin Skin for the wingcases on my Copper Johns. Seems to work fine.

you have to remember how to tie it in, here is on with lots of stretch and no ribbing, conforms to the fly when done right. If yours doesn't do this then flip it over when you tie in..

Attachments

• 2-24-12 050.jpg
    2-24-12 050.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2-24-12 052.jpg
    2-24-12 052.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 4
>>the hare dub stinks at dubbing on in comparison to the stuff you get from chopping up mask >>

IMO, the best use for pre-packaged hare's ear dubbing is as a bulk extender for dubbing taken from the mask. If you sort of match up shades and use a mix of 50/50 or even 75% prepackaged, 25% mask, you can make your masks last a lot longer. I like that.

So far as "thin skin", I wouldn't know and have no opinion other than to offer that my late Uncle Wayne was very thin-skinned. You could hardly say anything to him without him feeling insulted.

I use saran wrap or the light plastic bags that scissors, bobbins, etc. come in for scuds. Works for me..

try a real "English hare's ear" not domestic rabbit dubbing..

Also grab up some easter grass as the season's upon us. All shades and colors right now as cheap as it gets. Good alternative for a shell back.

Back