There goes the neighborhood...

Well, it's a great area for low altitude tactical training. You'd be surprised how difficult it can be to find good low level training areas that don't bump into controlled airspace.

And if the fishing is poor, you might get to enjoy an air show.

On a serious note, the area is perfect for Warthog training. if flying missions in PoCo helps keeps the pointy end of the spear sharp, and pilots alive on combat missions, then I'll put up with the sound of freedom every once in awhile.

The famous Ausable in Michigan gets regular fly-overs. At least they used to. Probably need to stick to shorter rods. Euro-nymphers and Tenkara fans would have to watch their tips, or cast side-arm. - lol

tl
les

A-10's are pretty impressive as with most military jets. They are often seen at Ravens football games as part of pre-game celebrations. They are fun to watch.

I did the crap scared out of me when a Boeing C-17 Globemaster looking transport flew about ~500 feet over the mountains and me while on Penns Creek one day this past March. Because it was so low I didn't hear it coming and was pretty taken aback when it slammed over the mountain.

As for lower altitude flybys in the wilds of PA, it might be fun maybe once or twice if I was out there. But if it were a frequent thing for daily and in the evening training, I'd be pretty bummed. I like being out there without that kind of thing.

I have a camp in Clinton county. I've already seen those flying around in the summer for years. Had to look up an A-10, I only knew them as Warthogs. I saw a C130 2 years ago at an uncomfortably low altitude for the valley and we always see some kind fighter jets.

The Coast guard flies over/ close to my house every day. The flight path for McDill is close as well. My taxes and insurance went up again. LOL GG

The article says up to 170 days a year. If it were just a few days, no problem, but almost half the year? We go to our place for peace and quiet, not an air show.

There is a public section of a fishable canyon in Idaho that is essentially a bombing range. "Up to" could be 6, could be 170... There is usually a public hearing...yada yada

I could be worse, I grew up not far from a military installation in north Jersey with a heliport. They used to run training missions at 5:30am, low enough to rattle the storm windows in the house. Not every day but once a week or so depending upon if they had the guardsmen in during that particular time period.

Risking taking this off the rails ... in the 80"s we used to fish in the Indian River, Melbourne FL off the runway at Patrick Air Force Base. One saturday morning 3 C-5's took off one after the other right over us. Loudest noise I ever heard basically renders you incapacitated, louder than Daytona 500 starting lap.

I think the 170 days is a window, and not an indicator that you're going to be seeing non-stop training missions. The squadron has other flying requirements aside from low level training, including deployments.

And I assume that, like all other military aviation units, the MD ANG has a fixed amount of flight time available during the FY.

tomgamber wrote:
There is a public section of a fishable canyon in Idaho that is essentially a bombing range. "Up to" could be 6, could be 170... There is usually a public hearing...yada yada

In addition to that, what are the odds that they will take the same route every time. No real point in that, and it's a huge area.

I saw a c5 take off a couple times when I was flying out of Bangor, ME. They are huge.

"Freedom"

I have a camp right smack in the middle of the area in question and have had A10's fly directly over my head at treetop level. As a previous poster stated, once in awhile it's actually kind of cool. On a regular basis (170 days per year) it would be a PITA.

As long as they don't open up that gattling gun...

bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Those A-10 Warthogs are loud. I used to race them down the Autobahn in Germany if I was driving a BMW, Benz, Audi or Lexus. The other rentals couldn't keep up.

tl
les

Seeing them in action is enough to make a tanker transfer into the mess hall. Trying to phase them out is a shame. When your on the ground you want something low and slow responding to your call. We liked the show the phantoms and 105’s put on but the A1 Skyraider was so slow you knew they’d have time to put the bombs on the enemy. I recall John McCain was a backer of the Warthog. Sometimes after the job was done they’d waggle their wings over our convoy.

Back