The Yough - Need some info please

M

mnigro

I'm looking to fish the Yough for the first time this spring. I wanted to know how "rough" of a float it is in the middle section. I have a pontoon that I was planning on using. I have spent a lot of time on the Delaware but that is a pretty tame river -for the most part. Looking at some info about the Yough has made me a little nervous, class IV rapids would not be good. Any info about where / how to safely float this river would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You should be ok. Launch at Ramcat access below the dam. There are a couple rough spots. But nothing more than class III on the middle yough. You will have to do a car shuttle. I have done the trip a couple times. I find it a bit easier just to bike due to the car shuttle issue.

http://www.riversportonline.com/index.htm

These guys will give you a ride back from ohioplye, cheap. Confluence to Ohioplye is a very easy paddle. Maybe one class II rapid. Make sure you fish around the islands.

Just dont miss the take out point, if ya know what I mean.

i've been over the falls a couple of times. it is scary as hell but you will live. I am much older and wiser and aviod this at all cost now. I do recommend doing it once. Now you can do it without a ticket.

http://fallsrace.com

Bruno wrote:
i've been over the falls a couple of times. it is scary as hell but you will live. I am much older and wiser and aviod this at all cost now. I do recommend doing it once. Now you can do it without a ticket.

No thanks bro. I’m not sure about the "you'll live" part either. I've heard of kayakers doing that though off the side shute but never over the middle. I'm not sure how well you'd fair on that one. :)

Now this is what I'm talking about. I looked at the link provided on those falls... I love to trout fish but I'd like to live through this trip. Few more Q's please.
-How far below the take-out are those falls?
-Is that shuttle service the type where they'll pick up your car and drop it off down river?
-Is the take-out recognizable- if you look at it on the way up can you remember it?
I've been on the D enough to know where I'm at but I know when I first started floating it there were times that I had to paddle up stream to get to my exit point. Ha, ha.

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far!!!

1. about a 3/4 of a mile ( of course that could mean 100yds, I am very bad at judging distances. It is far enough to be very safe)
2. you park your car at the put in and they drive you back and your baot for a fee. I'm cheap and just get the ride back then go and pick up my boat.
3. Can't miss it.

There is a nice little pub near the take out as well.

You can also fish meadow run in the park as well . Worth seeing the natural water slides.

mnigro wrote:
Now this is what I'm talking about. I looked at the link provided on those falls... I love to trout fish but I'd like to live through this trip. Few more Q's please.
-How far below the take-out are those falls?
-Is that shuttle service the type where they'll pick up your car and drop it off down river?
-Is the take-out recognizable- if you look at it on the way up can you remember it?
I've been on the D enough to know where I'm at but I know when I first started floating it there were times that I had to paddle up stream to get to my exit point. Ha, ha.

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far!!!

Thanks Bruno. That is what I wanted to hear.

Anyone ever watch the kayakers at Great Falls on the Potomac?? Are there smallmouth in that area??

Back